New purchase

Hulk

Well I finally pulled the trigger on my first fifth wheel and went all in. I travel the country for work and have been contemplating purchasing a camper for the last five years, instead of living out of suit cases. I ended up buying a 2016 heartland oakmont 375 qb. Me and my wife went with the bunk house so during the summers her and the kids could come stay with me. Never lived in a camper so any thoughts are much appreciated especially with winter right around the corner. Look forward to all the information I can get thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi Hulk,

Congratulations on the new Oakmont and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

We have a number of owner-written user guides that you may find helpful.

If you'll be in temps below freezing, I'd especially recommend the Water Systems Winter Usage Guide. Depending on how cold it gets where you're going, you may have to take some special measures to prevent freeze damage and to keep the water running.

If you have a Residential Refrigerator (120 Volt AC only - no propane operation), also take a look at our Residential Refrigerator Guide. The water feed line will need to be winterized even if you're living in the coach.

Make sure you have a good water pressure regulator. Some campgrounds can have very high water pressure that could damage your plumbing. An Electrical Management System (surge protector plus other protective functions) is also a very good investment to protect you from expensive electrical damage to your appliances. Quality of campground electric service varies quite a bit. Many of us have the Progressive EMS - either the portable or the inline unit.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. There's a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here. And of course you can browse subject areas of the forum to find answers, or use the search function.

jbeletti

Congrats on your Oakmont purchase. You're going to love living in your RV instead of paying for a hotel.

As Dan has mentioned, winter living in an RV needs to be carefully considered and even more carefully prepped for same. Depending on where you will be in the worst of the winter season, some items to consider:
  • Winterizing ice maker line if refer is in a slide and if so equipped
  • Using a heated water hose
  • Leaving tank valves closed until time to dump them (so contents doesn't freeze in sewer hose)
  • Dumping on warmer, sunny days (to ensure contents don't freeze when you try to dump)
  • Converting to 3" PVC sewer line if setup for long periods in sub freezing weather
  • Possibly insulate and heat any exposed sewer lines and valves
  • Possibly skirt around your RV if setup for long periods (months) in continuous sub freezing weather
  • Keep heavy amounts of snow off slide toppers (if so equipped)
  • Keep heavy amounts of snow off roof
  • Use of furnace in place of electric or other space heaters in order to pump some warm air into underbelly area if setup for long periods in sub freezing weather
  • Use if Yeti or other cold weather package on RV if so equipped, if setup for long periods in sub freezing weather (be sure to ALWAYS have some amount of liquid in all 4 tanks before turning on any tank heating pads so as not to melt a hole in tank

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new "condo on wheels" and welcome to the forum. We are also living in our camper since hubby is working out of our home state until he retires next spring - YEAH. This is a great place to ask questions. Also check out an upcoming rally near you and the Heartland Owners Club. It's a great way to meet other Heartland owners.

'Lil Guy'

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new purchase. You're definitely at the right place to ask questions. Being in Texas, I'm not to worried about winterizing our rig but I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses to your question. Jim B. pretty much summed it all up. Good luck on your new endeavor and hope to meet you down the road. Make sure to check out the HOC where you can attend rallies and start to put faces to the great people you meet here. Later and have a great day.

Hulk

bbccf3091e24b2425c1527eb7328fc3f.jpg
f88d26774dedc3dd8b10f4d85d360069.jpg
386ef053f1aeb3b3ca28a5c67baebd88.jpg

New home away from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power247

Welcome @Hulk. Good to see you over here. There's lots of good information and helpful & friendly folks on this forum.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310