Cold Weather Travel

sbhoward

We have sold our home in California and are moving to South Dakota. Does anyone have any experience of being on the road in cold weather with a BC?

I have found videos on Youtube, but most were parked in one location, while we will be making our way on the road.

Of most concern is preventing freezing water lines while we are on the move, staying at parks only overnight. I know its certified for full time living but not sure about traveling and water issues.

Any experiences or advice is welcome.

Thanks
Steve

danemayer

Steve,

It really depends on how cold it gets and how long it's been since the rig was at 72 degrees. I've traveled on mornings where it was -2 (F), but the temperature was in the high 20s by noon. No problem. But I also have extra insulation in the underbelly, and insulation on the water lines. Although the heat tape on the water lines wasn't running after shore power was disconnected, it probably helps to start out warm. Same with tank heaters.

Some people winterize their trailers and carry bottled water to wash hands and flush the toilet. At campgrounds, they use the campground facilities. If you're going to be towing in extreme cold weather all day, this might be best.

You might take a look at our Water Systems Winter Usage Guide. It's not oriented toward towing issues, but it may help you prep for overnight stays.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we travel through freezing temps, we winterize before we leave unwinterize when we get to a place we'll be a while. Overnight on the road, we use park facilities, and try not to add too much water to our tanks.

We have not done it with our BC yet but did manage with our ElkRidge to go skiing 1-2 times a year, the 5 years we had it.

You will need to make mods to stay in below freezing temps for extended periods. See Dan's references. He'd know, they stay in Breckenridge during the winter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk