Bottomless Lakes

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We visited this place last week near Roswell NM. I cannot remember all the specifics but, there is a river NW or here that literally ends by going underground and it feeds these tiny lakes. Pretty cool if you ask me. They have a campground close as well that was huge, had hook ups, good wifi and a strong cell signal, and had a swimming beach.

BL.jpg BL 4.jpg

Attachments

• BL 2.jpg
    BL 2.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 93

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We visited this place last week near Roswell NM. I cannot remember all the specifics but, there is a river NW or here that literally ends by going underground and it feeds these tiny lakes. Pretty cool if you ask me. They have a campground close as well that was huge, had hook ups, good wifi and a strong cell signal, and had a swimming beach.

View attachment 48400 View attachment 48402

Have passed by, wondered about it. Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Pecos River. There are also a number of these "sinkholes" around Santa Rosa and they are said to all be connected. The Pecos also flows through Santa Rosa.

SNOKING

As a kid growing up with my summers on Lake Crescent on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State, they said it was so deep it was connected to the ocean. And I said, where is the drain plug located? The lake surface happens to be at 580' above sea level. Depth is listed at 623', so if someone removes the drain plug there would be around 43 feet of water left in it.

Chris

rxbristol

We were there this last March. You're right, the RV park and swimming area is great, especially for such a small state park.

IronJ

Ha..my old stomping grounds!!..it's been low tho. I have a lot of family in Roswell.

I believe the name stems from when they used to tie a rock to a string to measure depth...the currents would take the rock...thus bottomless lake ..

Neat lil place off the beaten path..pretty close to sand dunes also...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Only two of them are able to support fish and the state stocks them. We ran into some guys fishing one of them.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.