Stink bugs ( aka shield bugs)

Relayman

We just reciently got back from an excursiin in Tennessee , Arkansas,and East Texas. in Arkansas...we noticed lots of shield bugs zipping around outside and some made it inside. this was.a month ago and we are still finding them in our BH3270 . has anyone experienced this ? how do you eradicate them ? I am hesitant to use "insecticide bombs" because of the cabinetry and wood work. anyone ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have several variety's of stink bugs here in Wisconsin. All of them pests and unfortunately I think they will be with us forever.
I will not use an insecticide in the house, not because of cabinetry but more because of me.
When I see them in the house or RV I use duct tape and stick them to it. No mess, no stink.
Eventually they will go away.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can you vacuum them up in a hand vac and dispose of them outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Tennessee got invaded with these bugs about 5 years ago. They are a real pest as they are trying to find a warm place for the winter. You can't vacuum them up-they stink, step on them-they stink and they won't die by using regular bug spray. I read a couple of years ago about making a home made catcher out of a plastic bottle and that's what we have been using inside the camper (see picture). I just get behind them and scoop them in. There was a suggestion about using a 2 liter bottle the same way as the one in the picture and add a light in the bottom (no liquid) which we tried but that didn't work at all. At our home on the outside of the house, I use a spray bottle with a solution of dawn soap and water. The soapy water drowns them. They breathe under their wings and the soapy water suffocates them. We pray for rain cuz now we have the cleanest exterior in the neighborhood.
stink bug.jpg Sorry but for some reason, all my pictures get turned sideways now. The black spot in the solution is a dead stink bug.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
E, about 18 years ago when the Asian Beetles, and they do stink, first made their debut here I sucked them up with a vacuum cleaner.
Then every time we vacuumed the house stunk like the beetles because their stink juice was in the vacuum. Changing the bag only helped a little. It took time to get rid of that smell.
I will never do that again and that's why I use the duct tape.

Peace
Dave

rhodies1

E, about 18 years ago when the Asian Beetles, and they do stink, first made their debut here I sucked them up with a vacuum cleaner.
Then every time we vacuumed the house stunk like the beetles because their stink juice was in the vacuum. Changing the bag only helped a little. It took time to get rid of that smell.

Peace
Dave

stink bugs are found in Pennsylvania as well,there is a non smelling spray that can be purchased at local hardware stores,this has no smell and lasts for 4 months.I use it under the edges of the slides by the rubbers,it keep them out very well.
It comes in an orange bottle and is specifically for stink bugs it is called. Stink Bug Killer and made by TERRO.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Peace
Dave

Oh my! Ok DON'T DO WHAT I SUGGESTED! I'm a Texan and don't get up north, I guess. Have not encountered them like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigburd

I usually go to Florida and set them free.
angel.png

Just got back from Top Sail SP, two weeks and they were still coming out of the woodwork.

MCTalley

If your rig has double-pane windows, you might want to do a modification to keep the bugs out. If you open each window and look outside, you'll see that the factory left 1/2 to 3/4 inch gaps in the seal to allow condensation to drip out. Unfortunately, the bugs can crawl up through those gaps into the rig. Typically they'll end up between the window and screen except for non-screened windows such as the emergency exit.

I bought a roll of similar style stick-on weatherstripping and filled in the gaps except for a small sliver so that condensate could still dribble out, but bugs can't crawl in.

porthole

Retired

Peace
Dave

There is a reason I made the central vac in the trailer exhaust to the outside :confused: