Rattler Vaccine.....

Uncle Rog

Howdy, for the last few years I have had my GSP'S vaccinated with a serum from Red Rocks Biological to lessen the effects of a bite, should one occur. My two current knuckleheads, Annie Rose and Mr Buck, are both snake smart and will not even get close to a "slider" unless they do not smell it or see it. Andy at the club has a pet he calls Oscar that he uses to teach other dogs. My dogs won't even go near the door of the shed where the cage is! Any way here is the link for the information. A lot of city dogs get nailed on camping trips not having the experience to know what is going on...........

http://www.redrockbiologics.com/

This link is for a Vet with an opinion............

http://www.caninecreek.com/rattlesnakes.htm

Forrest Fetherolf

Rog,

No snake would stand a chance with this 4.5 lbs of sheer terror. BEBE is one vicious K-9. :eek:

Forrest

Attachments

• IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 42

Uncle Rog

Here are what mine look like''''''''''

Attachments

• DSC02114.JPG
    DSC02114.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC02108.JPG
    DSC02108.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC02107.JPG
    DSC02107.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 31
  • ANNIE ROSE.jpg
    ANNIE ROSE.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 36
  • annie on point.jpg
    annie on point.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 25

ChopperBill

Friend of ours has a fishing camp in Montana and was telling us about "snake training" their dogs. What they do is catch a rattler in a tupper wear tub and put it in a freezer. When the snake gets cold enough that it wont move they take it out and sew its mouth shut. Then take the snake out to an open area and let it "thaw" out. Put a manual shock collar on the dog and turn it on high. Let the dog start to play with the snake. When the snake strikes they give it a shot. Dog shoots straight in the air seldom needing another lesson.

Peteandsharon

Frozen snake or not, who's the guy that gets the wonderful job of sewing its mouth shut? Talk about drawing the short straw!!!

Uncle Rog

Howdy, at the club we just put them in a hardware cloth enclosed cage and place several around the area. The first cage is a sight excersise when the dog / puppy trots up to the cage the collar is stimulated. The second is sound recognition and the third is smell training, leading them up to a blind encounter. Usually by the time they get through the first two scenarios they pretty much get it. Interestingly we use the lowest stimulus required to get the dogs attention, the high setting will make them do backflips! Years ago I took the course with the mouths sewn shut.....It wasn't any more effective than the cage class.................