Hooking into a 100 pound Propane tank

marchill

I would like to store my Bighorn in my 30x50 steel building this winter in Colorado. I would like to avoid winterizing... come and go several times over the winter. Is the following a practical option?

I would like to leave the thermostat at about 40. I would like to get a large tank and hook it up outside the RV. I have a neighbor that can check on it from time to time and swap out when needed.

What are the considerations for doing this? Is it safe?

thanks.

Lynn1130

how cold will it be inside the shed? I am thinking that even with heat going inside the trailer and supplying heat to the underbelly you still may have to do some insulating to avoid freezing in the UDC and low points, if you have them. I would be fearful of a really cold snap or a heater malfunction and it would not take long at near 0 to freeze things up. It might be safer to winterize than suffer the chance. But that is me.

danemayer

Depending on how cold it gets, and how well insulated the building and RV are, a 100# tank might last only 3-4 weeks, even set at 40 (F). In my experience in Breckenridge, with thermostat set to 68 (F), a 100# tank lasts about 10 days.

And you may not be pumping enough heat into the underbelly to protect the water system.

And as already noted, lots can go wrong while you're away.

I'd suggest you use compressed air to winterize, and then follow your plan.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
If you plan to store your trailer in the Montgomery Tx area, you my be okay with your plan. If it doesn't get that cold - well below freezing - for very long, 8 hours or so at a time. We lived at an RV park in Spring for about a year or so and never had to winterize. I do recommend evacuating the ice maker line, but we live in ours and haven't had much trouble.