Propane tanks

This may not be correct place for this, but I have a question. Just bought a Mallard M29 two weeks ago and took it out for the first time last week. While my wife was cooking on stove and oven, noticed flame was getting lower on stove for some reason. Went out to look at propane tanks, I had fixed a leak on tank earlier in the day. I was only running on one tank and it was all frosted up like it was freezing up. I switched regulator so it would pull off both tanks at same time. That seemed to solve problem. It was in the high 30s when this was happening. How do I prevent this from happening again. First RV, a lot to learn!

Power247

I've never had a tank to that to me. I'm in for the potential causes and resolutions.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

macjj

Had a similar instance but the temp dropped lower. "Propane" is not supposed to freeze until 60+ below zero, however Butane has a higher OX content and freezes around 20 degrees. I got a bad batch, I suspect had a high OX content, and the lines froze to the point where nothing worked. Had to move to a hotel until it warmed up a bit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

Using both tanks is the cure, it doubles the surface area between the gas and the fluid.

It happens to me when I run my generator on one tank. But since I don't have a splitter to run two tanks, I just place the tank in front of the exhaust pipe which keeps it toasty enough to prevent icing. But the cure would be to add another tank to increase the surface area of the fluid.

Bohemian

The key is the temperature ov the propane, not the temperature ov the air. As you draw propane gas out ov tgd tank more liquid propane evaporates. It takes energy to evaporate so the liquid propane cools below outdoor temperature and becomes harder to evaporate. If you draw gas at a high rate the liquid propane cools faster and gets to a lower temperature. This makes it harder to evaporate and requires more heat.

Opening thevsevond tank cut the rate of cooling in half. The temperature drop below outdoof trmp was cut in half.