I want to cry; Garage threshold rotted

mixie57

We ordered the plastic threshold to replace our cracked one and this is what we found. How do we get this repaired? From the rot, I would say it has been this way for a while? Will Heartland make good on this? Even the metal where the springs are attached is rusted. We keep getting water in our beaver tail too.

3b4a4fbb9f51ee7d6380ef232f1b1bad.jpg
f01189740138a0bd00c62eb1d1f08ca8.jpg
6e6b61e856f852d9f344484fb42f3c60.jpg
fd1a4558f367cd8121bf498792d0b40c.jpg
https://vimeo.com/191537258

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynndiwagoner

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I think I would try to find the source of the leak first. They make some treated plywood that would be a good replacement, they also make some kind of epoxy material that will fix rot. I don't think it's the end of the world but surely a pain. Good luck with your repair, and I bet you will get a lot of suggestions on this forum.

HornedToad

WOW... Those pictures make me want to stop spraying my garage out with the garden hose. (Not sayin' you did that... but I do!!!)
I always have to take a towel and sop up the water out of the beavertail when I rinse the garage out.
Then I'll normally leave the ramp & entry opened up overnight with a fan running to air it out.
I need to check mine!!!

mixie57

WOW... Those pictures make me want to stop spraying my garage out with the garden hose. (Not sayin' you did that... but I do!!!)
I always have to take a towel and sop up the water out of the beavertail when I rinse the garage out.
Then I'll normally leave the ramp & entry opened up overnight with a fan running to air it out.
I need to check mine!!!

Nope, water was from rain only. I checked & didn't find any warning labels about water leaking in .

mixie57

Just an update. After communications with Heartland and Lippert over several months, no one takes responsibility for our damage. It's out of warranty and out extended warranty does not cover doors (or windows). We will have to eat the cost of the repairs. We may be able to repair the garage floor but we agree at a loss for the door. It's $2607. On top of that, if you went with a repair service, drove to Elkhart to pick up the door, the labor will be exorbitant. Obviously, the door is not hung right. Check out the damage from the rail latch damage.

Lynn1130

WOW... Those pictures make me want to stop spraying my garage out with the garden hose.

No No No! After doing that one time and then later seeing the damage that some were having with ramp doors I never did it again, and sealed every seam around the door, inside and out to try to keep water from migrating past seams and joints.

I am sorry that you are having that issue and hope that you find a cheaper solution.

LBR

I go to extremes to keep the ramp door dry...an extra tarp is kept in the dovetail storage to cover the ramp should we ever have to load/unload in the rain. This was also the reason we didn't want a side patio door because of the hassle of closing it prior to getting rained on.

Lynn1130

Yep. I have an 8X10 piece of outdoor carpet that goes on the floor when I have to load a wet UTV. I try to dry it as best I can but snow complicates that some.

wdk450

Once you get it fixed, maybe this calls for some of the rubberized spray sealant they tout on TV. BTW, Krylon makes the same sort of spray for less $.