Stabilization

Steve.Twoknee

First, let me say that I really really like the power stabilization jacks on my Mighty Duck! That being said, this camper (M32) is like the four others we've had in that it can shake pretty good with some of my heavy walking family members and an occasionally restless Golden. So, I think when I pull my summer home out of the barn this spring I'm going to add a pair of scissor jacks to the frame. The question is what is the best location? In front of the front axel? Just behind rear axel? Thoughts?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Scissor jacks are not going to help much . . . if at all.

Try a pair a scissor chocks on the tires . . . they will help with the rocking motion.

I also still carry my old screw-up jack supports and use them when we are going to stay for longer than a couple of days, although I am thinking of getting a couple of bottle jacks to replace them.

Here is a shot of our previous trailer with the chocks and screw-up jacks:

CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I know several people that have added the scissor jacks to the frame and claim it helped a lot. A great ideal to help with any bounce from the springs and tires.
The X-Chocks that John mentioned are also a great idea.
Every little thing helps.

Peace
Dave

Steve.Twoknee

Scissor jacks are not going to help much . . . if at all.

Try a pair a scissor chocks on the tires . . . they will help with the rocking motion.

I also still carry my old screw-up jack supports and use them when we are going to stay for longer than a couple of days, although I am thinking of getting a couple of bottle jacks to replace them.

Here is a shot of our previous trailer with the chocks and screw-up jacks:

View attachment 48556

Good ideas. I do use a scissor tire jack on one side (I always put them on the high side), but the camper still moves too much - especially when the college and HS kids come along. Would another tire scissor jack make that much difference? I still think a set of jacks attached to the frame (that I only need to use when I want to use them) would help, I'm just not sure about optimal placement. I also could be wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Good ideas. I do use a scissor tire jack on one side (I always put them on the high side), but the camper still moves too much - especially when the college and HS kids come along. Would another tire scissor jack make that much difference? I still think a set of jacks attached to the frame (that I only need to use when I want to use them) would help, I'm just not sure about optimal placement. I also could be wrong!

I would think that placing scissor jacks on one side in front of the front axle and on the other side just behind the rear axle.

I would probably still go for the bottle jacks.

Very easy to place anywhere you want them plus you'll have them for other uses as well.

Power247

I have been thinking of the same thing for our Pioneer. I have xchocks and they help a lot. I also have the screw up stands that we used on our previous tt. They work well positioned at the stairs for removing some of the shake but like the idea of having stands mounted to the frame so they don't take up storage space.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Steve.Twoknee

I have been thinking of the same thing for our Pioneer. I have xchocks and they help a lot. I also have the screw up stands that we used on our previous tt. They work well positioned at the stairs for removing some of the shake but like the idea of having stands mounted to the frame so they don't take up storage space.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes, while I like the idea of bottle jacks, I like more the idea of having scissor jacks attached to the frame and out of the way; no storage needed. Now, I need an engineer to help me find the best placement!

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
Be careful in which bottle jacks you purchase. some are labeled not to be used to support for any amount of time. I found that mine leak down within 48 hours.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
First, let me say that I really really like the power stabilization jacks on my Mighty Duck! That being said, this camper (M32) is like the four others we've had in that it can shake pretty good with some of my heavy walking family members and an occasionally restless Golden. So, I think when I pull my summer home out of the barn this spring I'm going to add a pair of scissor jacks to the frame. The question is what is the best location? In front of the front axel? Just behind rear axel? Thoughts?

http://www.steadyfast.com/

Rychehawk

I just picked up a Mallard M29 last month and I noticed a bit more shaking than I cared for with the power stabs down, I ended up adding a good 2" block of wood under each stab and picked up a set of slide room stabilizers for under each corner of the slide with a nice flat block of wood between the top of the jack and the bottom of the room. The slide supports made the biggest difference for me, just make sure you don't lift the room just tighten them enough to stabilize.

Skywrench

Full Timer
Yes, while I like the idea of bottle jacks, I like more the idea of having scissor jacks attached to the frame and out of the way; no storage needed. Now, I need an engineer to help me find the best placement!

I'm no engineer but I'd want some support at all four corners.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The bottle jacks and scissor jacks will help but as long as the weight of the camper is on the tires, you will always get the bouncing. Remember you are on rubber that gives and until the weight is taken off the tires, there will also be some bouncing.

JohnD

Be careful in which bottle jacks you purchase. some are labeled not to be used to support for any amount of time. I found that mine leak down within 48 hours.

The bottle jacks would not be for support, but just for added stability to the already existing stabilizers mounted to the trailer from the factory.

Scissor jacks are a waste of money as far as I'm concerned and will most likely remove the rear ones on our 5th-wheeler sometime soon and replace them with something better.

With scissor jacks you will never get rid of the shake as they just are not stable.

- - - Updated - - -

I just picked up a Mallard M29 last month and I noticed a bit more shaking than I cared for with the power stabs down, I ended up adding a good 2" block of wood under each stab and picked up a set of slide room stabilizers for under each corner of the slide with a nice flat block of wood between the top of the jack and the bottom of the room. The slide supports made the biggest difference for me, just make sure you don't lift the room just tighten them enough to stabilize.

I had a pair of the slide stabilizers for our bumper-pull . . . loved them!

I gave them to a fellow HOC member at our last Colorado HOC Rally.