Seeking Advice on Selling RV on Consignment

richiek

Hello Everyone:

Wanted to see if some of you here wouldn't mind sharing your experience with selling your RV on consignment through a dealer. We own a 2014 RW 425 and currently have it at a camping world in TN and they've offered to sell it for us. Their price appears to be a little low but it's a hit that I can take if they can move it. I live in IN but keep in in TN (since we always camp south of here) so selling it myself would be a little difficult. So, I guess that one of my questions of those among you that've sold on consignment with a large RV retailer is did their large size and sales network allow for a sale to take place faster or not? I just don't want to be sitting here six mos. from now and they can't move it because they've priced it too high, etc. BTW we're selling bc we just don't use our unit as much as we would need to to justify keeping it. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Richie

Relayman

sold mine myself. was easy.
advertise in Indiana at the same time as camping world
has it. post what you WANT to get for it..and see what happens. cant hurt. You say capiing world is asking a lower selling price than you would like...thats because they want to move it fast and remember... THEY will get a percentage of THEIR selling price...which cuts your net even more ! Sell it yourself. are you in a hurry to get rid if it ? if no...take your time and get what you want for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
My experience says sell it yourself. We had one of our rigs on consignment at a dealer we bought new from. After three months of zero traffic I told them I was coming to pick it up. As I was hooking up this fella walked up to me and asked if it was for sale. He told me he was interested in it but the sales rep told him it was unavailable. Seems he was trying to sell this guy something newer. Sold it to him on their lot. I should have checked it out before pulling it off of their lot as when I got it home I found it was missing the rear landing jacks, both batteries and the power cord.

sengli

We up here in the north are currently about to go into winter again. Not a lot of RV's move around here till spring time usually. We tried to sell our elkridge ourselves for 4 months while our new big horn was being ordered and built. Only had a couple of people even look at it. We ended up just having to trade it in at wholesale. As usual though it only takes one person, and timing is everything.

donr827

You have a better chance of selling on consignment with a dealer that only sells used RVs on consignment . A company like PPL in Houston does this. You could get a RV transporter pick it up and take it to PPL. Would need to check out the cost of the transporter.
Don

alwaysbusy

Sold our last ourselves. Indeed it takes your time, effort and frustration dealing with low ballers and scammers; however, you will come out so much better by controlling the sale yourself. We advertised on Craigslist and RVT.com. We spent a total of $20 for advertisement. Posted after Thanksgiving and it sold in February.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We opted to trade in our Heartland Trail Runner as there were so many used trailers and RV's around that had been sitting in yards for months to well over a year that I decided it just wasn't worth the hassle with all of the competition around these parts.

Heck, that was a year and a half ago . . . and some of those same trailers are still in the same yards with for sale signs in the window.

Plus, we really couldn't afford two trailer payments at once . . . not too mention that we only have room for one trailer at our house!

wdk450

If you DO end up putting your trailer for sale on consignment, MAKE SURE YOUR INSURANCE IS IN FORCE FOR THIS. I have read other threads online about RV damage, fires, etc. and after the fact the owners found out that their insurance specifically omits coverage for this. I think you CAN get special insurance riders to cover this.

MTPockets

If you DO end up putting your trailer for sale on consignment, MAKE SURE YOUR INSURANCE IS IN FORCE FOR THIS. I have read other threads online about RV damage, fires, etc. and after the fact the owners found out that their insurance specifically omits coverage for this. I think you CAN get special insurance riders to cover this.
Confirming: we had GEICO who did not cover if on a dealer or consignment lot for sale, nor did they offer a rider... Progressive didn't offer either. We have changed to Blue Sky Insurance while it's on the consignment lot.

HornedToad

Confirming: we had GEICO who did not cover if on a dealer or consignment lot for sale, nor did they offer a rider... Progressive didn't offer either. We have changed to Blue Sky Insurance while it's on the consignment lot.

I've read this comment before and questioned if perhaps you and/or your agent were mis-interpreting the "No Benefit to Bailee" exclusion, which is in just about every property policy. I was not familiar with the exclusion you quoted as many companies just use the Personal Auto Policy to insure RV's and that contract does not have such a limitation.

In the business of insurance I've learned not to rely on what an agent or insured thinks is, is not or woulda, coulda or shoulda been covered. Instead I know you can rely on the written contract.

So... I did a little research and found a copy of the GIECO auto policy endorsement for RVs ( http://doi.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/doinvgov/_public-documents/Consumers/CC-438B.pdf ) that does have a specific exclusion under physical damage (item H on pg 5 of 9) for "Loss to an owned auto while entrusted to a person or business for the purpose of selling, renting or brokering the sale of the vehicle."

Good advice to "MAKE SURE YOUR INSURANCE IS IN FORCE FOR THIS" or better yet read your policy... as apparently some companies do and other companies do not exclude coverage if on a dealer or consignment lot for sale.

Last edited: