Rollover in Crosswinds

Jim.Allison

As far a stability is concerned, a tow vehicle, no matter SRW or DRW, will have to compensate by crabbing into the wind. Neither vehicle is immune from the necessary correction. And neither has a special capability over the other to steer into the wind. If your rig decides to roll over, it's going over, no matter what you drive. If you are a DRW driver and the wind is bad enough to force a SRW off the roadway, you too should be exiting.

Bones

Re: 2016 Duramax Diesel 39 mbhs

this is to show Jim's point. It can still happen.

Bones

If you look closely at the 1:48 time you can see the hitch is not on the ball. The safety chain is holding the truck up in the air.

Jim M
Yeah I saw that too. I'm curious at what point did it snap it off the ball.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Under review, at 00:50 is an interesting view.

You know what else is interesting . . .

It looks like there were no torsion bars or any kind of WD setup, which probably would have kept the trailer from flipping.

When I got my 2500HD I was told that the truck had built-in sway control and that the WD and sway bar was not needed.

However, I chose to use it all anyway as I liked the added safety of more than just the ball being the only real connection between the truck and the trailer, even though it made the hitch-up kind of a PITA.

Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg NewTruckHitchInAZ.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg

Jim.Allison

My DW and her family got blown over in west Texas X-winds combined with a truck passing, I do not believe they had torsion bars. My DW will not travel with anything but a fifth wheel. They just barely escaped with their lives, and my DW chokes up when she thinks about it.

In this video, I think they topped that hill, and that is when it got them. Surprise, surprise. But in the end, X-winds are dangerous, and just like flying, or boating, sometimes you just gotta call it "NO GO," No matter what you tow or tow with. Whats a few hours at a Walmart parking lot, or an extra day at a RV park until a low pressure or frontal system passes.