Mallard vs north trail

We looked at a M 29 and really liked it at camping world. We were told it is a private label for them. It looks almost identical to a north trail. Is there any real difference structurally or quality wise. Also some people have mentioned the ac is not sufficient. We live in Florida so this is a concern. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Thanks

danemayer

Hi,Scottb022563,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Private labeling is just a way to get a slightly different configuration under a different brand name. The CW version would have been built on the same line as the trailer on which it's based. Could CW have specified different materials or different appliances? Perhaps to a very limited extent. It's difficult to run a productive manufacturing line if you have too many variables. So the differences are usually minor, and often cosmetic in nature.

RV air conditioners always have a challenge keeping up with the heat load from direct sun, so obviously 2 would be better than 1. But perhaps other Florida Mallard/North Trail owners can provide more specific feedback.

Steve.Twoknee

We looked at a M 29 and really liked it at camping world. We were told it is a private label for them. It looks almost identical to a north trail. Is there any real difference structurally or quality wise. Also some people have mentioned the ac is not sufficient. We live in Florida so this is a concern. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Thanks

We have a 2016 Mallard M32, and you are correct; when I see a North Trail at a campground I almost always mistake it for another Mallard. Go figure.
As far as build goes I have not noticed any differences, but I have only done walk throughs, not camped or otherwise used, in a North Trail.
While Camping World does have a questionable reputation with respect to customer service, I have been very impressed with my Mallard - even though it's AC unit does indeed struggle at times. I think, and I could be wrong, this is more of a Coleman issue then a Mallard issue.
What I do know is this is one of the best towing campers I've ever had and set up at the camp ground is pretty darn quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, thank you very much for the quick responses, we appreciate it. I have a armada platinum that has a tow capacity of 9000 lbs.The dealer said the M29 is about 7000 loaded. If I get Weight distribution system I should be good right, does the trailer length matter? Any recommendations on weight distribution systems? Thanks again.

Power247

Hi, thank you very much for the quick responses, we appreciate it. I have a armada platinum that has a tow capacity of 9000 lbs.The dealer said the M29 is about 7000 loaded. If I get Weight distribution system I should be good right, does the trailer length matter? Any recommendations on weight distribution systems? Thanks again.
We have a Pioneer which is also a CW exclusive that shares a floor plan and decorative characteristics of the North Trail and Mallard. Our first camping in Myrtle Beach SC this summer left us pretty disappointed with the AC performance. I resealed the main vent and return at the ceiling and added reflex to some of the windows and our second trip was much better.

You definitely need a weight distribution hitch. I have an Equal-i-zer that we moved over from our previous TT. It is the only one I have ever used but I am very happy with the performance.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You definitely need a weight distribution hitch. I have an Equal-i-zer that we moved over from our previous TT. It is the only one I have ever used but I am very happy with the performance.

No matter how big of a truck (even a dually) anyone has pulling a larger bumper pull TT, they should have a WD setup no matter what.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Just because the numbers might say it is OK . . . that is not always true.

When we bought our first TT (1978 Coachman) I had a huge 1-ton Dodge B350 Van to pull it . . . what a beast it was!

A few months after we bought the trailer, I was rear ended while sitting at a stop light and the van was totalled (the Ford F150 4x4 that hit me was in even worse shape, as was the Toyota Forerunner that was in front of me).

Vansiderear.jpg

Vanfront.jpg

I loved that van . . . it doesn't look that bad, but the drive shaft was pushed through the bell housing, which is the main reason why it was totalled.

The next day I went shopping for a new truck and I narrowed it down to a Dodge Durango (my first choice) and a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, both having the same tow ratings.

While test driving the Durango we drove it over to the house and backed it up to our trailer, and the minute I saw that Durango in front of the trailer I knew it was way too small for our largish 26-foot travel trailer.

SandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpg

Even though it (the Durango) was rated to handle our trailer . . . there was no way I was going to pull it with that small SUV . . . period!

Took it back and made the deal for the Dodge Ram, which turned out to be my most favorite vehicle I've ever owned in my life!

Campout2012CampingWorld-PC270075.jpg

Wish I still had it, however, now it is living the good life in Rochester, New York!

Gaffer

If dual pane windows are an option get them they do help with heating and cooling. If not an option look into window film.

Rychehawk

100% YES on weight distribution and I 2nd the Equal-I-zer, get the WD with the 4 point anti-sway 1000lb tongue/10,000lb GVW. I just picked up a 2017 M29 and so far love it for what you get for the price, I am towing with a GMC 2500D and the Equal-I-zer WD, but I got the 1,200lb/12,000lb because my truck has a class 5 hitch. It s super stable, fairly easy to hitch up but a bit noisy at low speeds which is normal.

CW sells and sets up the hitches and they actually have a good if not better price on the equal-I-zer hitches.

Chopperno1

I have the Mallard M32 being towed by a Ram 2500 4x4 and also use the Equal-I-zer. I like it for the fact that you just attach the bars and you are done [weight dist and sway all in one]. The other set ups with the chains have a additional hook up for the sway. I was able to get the set up I use on Craigslist for $200.00 and it looked brand new.