How to switch from propane to electric 2016 North Trail 26LRSS Caliber?

Krowell4

How to switch from propane to electric for heating water & inside of 2016 North Trail 26LRSS Caliber. Want propane for only gas stove top & oven. Steps taken: filled water heater tank 1st, hooked up electricity, inside rv toggled KIB DSI / FLT Water Heater Electric switch on (lights up), inside rv on Coleman Mack thermostat moved temperature know to 75 degrres, System know to Heat & Auto High, checked WFCO Converter with Distribution Panel Model WF-8955PEC 129 15 AMP A/C & Furnance, & outside rv did not see on ATWOOD Automatic Water Storage Model GCAA-19E Gas/Electric Drawing & Connections for a switch, pin or reset button to switch from propane to electric. Should manufacturer have set this. Is it on the back side of three Atwood? Can I do this & not void warranty? Thanks.

danemayer

Hi Krowell4,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You should be able to run an Atwood water heater on electric (assuming it's a gas/electric model), by turning on the electric switch inside the trailer. Atwood units do not have a secondary switch outside like Suburban units.

If you're also asking about running the furnace on electric, rather than on propane, the only way I've seen to do that is to add an RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat to the existing furnace. That modifies the furnace to run on either propane or 120V (if connected to 50 amp service).

Krowell4

Thank you for the reply. I'm new to RVing & the manuals provided are not written for an owner to operate the RV & its components. Yes, I am talking about heating the inside of the RV. I do have an Atwood gas/electric, Coleman Mack thermostat, KIB Controller. I was told when I purchased the RV that I would be able to switch the heat for the inside of the RV & water from propane to electric. Only the stove top & oven would be running on propane. I was also told the manufacturer should have removed a pin to switch from propane to electric. Hope that helps. Thanks.

danemayer

Thank you for the reply. I'm new to RVing & the manuals provided are not written for an owner to operate the RV & its components. Yes, I am talking about heating the inside of the RV. I do have an Atwood gas/electric, Coleman Mack thermostat, KIB Controller. I was told when I purchased the RV that I would be able to switch the heat for the inside of the RV & water from propane to electric. Only the stove top & oven would be running on propane. I was also told the manufacturer should have removed a pin to switch from propane to electric. Hope that helps. Thanks.

I think the person telling you these things was less informed than they need to be.

Removing the pin to switch from propane to electric is necessary when you have a Suburban Water Heater. the secondary switch on the outside has a cotterpin. Since you have an Atwood Water Heater, that doesn't apply.

If you happen to have an air conditioner that is a heat pump model, or that has heat strips, then it's possible to do some heating of the living area on electric. But the furnace is not involved in that operation. And the underbelly will not get any heat from those ceiling units.

You might look for the thermostat manual in the blue pouch full of manuals to see if it covers heat pump or heat strip operation.