Proper way to connect and disconnect your tow vehicle power cord

Relayman

When connecting my rig to tow..I usually leave the 120v shore power "on"...plug in my tow vehicle cord..then disconnect my 120 v source chord. Sometimes I find the miniture O/L "popped" out..which kills power to my fridge. is methid correct ? or shoul I never have them connected at the same time ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve.Twoknee

When connecting my rig to tow..I usually leave the 120v shore power "on"...plug in my tow vehicle cord..then disconnect my 120 v source chord. Sometimes I find the miniture O/L "popped" out..which kills power to my fridge. is methid correct ? or shoul I never have them connected at the same time ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've never really thought about it. I'm sure I've let my rig remain plugged into shore when I've connected to the truck and I also know I've disconnected shore and then plugged into the truck. Either way nothing bad has ever happened. So if there is a correct way I do not know what it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justafordguy

I leave my shore power plugged in when I hitch up and plug it the truck all the time and have never had any issues.

wdk450

I plug in to shore power (and turn on the inside main breakers) first thing when arriving at a space, and last thing when I depart a space. I do this because I believe the trailer's battery system can use the assist of the 60 amps from the trailer power converter when lifting the pin off of the truck hitch, levelling the rig front-to-back, setting/raising the rear landing gear, and putting out/bringing in the slides.

Sniper

I always connect the truck up last but, not because I worry about hurting anything in the trailer but, because I worry about hurting the charging system or, computer on the truck if somehow 120v would back feed, no matter how unlikely that may be. :)

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Just my own thing . . .

I unplug the trailer from the electric before I plug the pigtail in to the truck . . .

And I unplug the pigtail from the truck before I plug the trailer in to the electrical outlet.

I look at it the same way as making sure the circuit breaker in the power pole at a campground is off before I plug in and unplug from it.

mlpeloquin

Just my own thing . . .

I unplug the trailer from the electric before I plug the pigtail in to the truck . . .

And I unplug the pigtail from the truck before I plug the trailer in to the electrical outlet.

I look at it the same way as making sure the circuit breaker in the power pole at a campground is off before I plug in and unplug from it.

This is the correct way. Make sure power is switched off ant the pole when plugging in and unplugging the AC power connector, if not it can trip the DC breaker. It has on mine when I have gotten in a hurry. Last time was early this year at Rancho Oso in Santa Barbra. We were given almost no time to go do to the fire heading our way!

Attachments

• Rancho Oso Fire.jpg
    Rancho Oso Fire.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 66

dlw930

This is the correct way. Make sure power is switched off ant the pole when plugging in and unplugging the AC power connector, if not it can trip the DC breaker. It has on mine when I have gotten in a hurry. Last time was early this year at Rancho Oso in Santa Barbra. We were given almost no time to go do to the fire heading our way!

Wow, Marc! You didn't mention the fire when we were at Rancho Oso earlier this month. We've been close to fires in Cody, WY and Howard CO this summer, but didn't have to evacuate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Speaking of wildfires . . .

Took this from the patio of our old house in Boulder, CO back in June, 2002:

BoulderFireR1-16Arz.jpg