2013 Big Country 3450TS purchase

tessa

hi-
we looked at 2013 Big Country 3450TS this weekend and really liked it. we have owned TT's in the past. the unit really fit us well. the dealer ran some numbers and were close to what we wanted. going to do a little more negotiating on Monday.
will do an inspection of the unit prior to final purchase, with this year and model are there any specific things to look for or look out for?
I will use a PDI check list and run through all the appliances, walk the roof, check the slides, look for delam (didn't see any) look over the slide seals- lots and lots to check out.
any input will be appreciated-
thanks!

jimtoo

Hi tessa,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and soon to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Just check all appliances including having it hooked to water and elec to make sure everything works. I would check tires, in fact,,,, I would ask for a new set of tires, not Towmax,, but almost anything else.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club.

Enjoy the forum and your new to you unit.

Jim M

tessa

!!Re: 2013 Big Country 3450TS purchase

we made the deal on the Big Country. had a few minor issues but they will take care of them. we should be able to pick it up on the 1st of December. going to have the stack washer and dryer installed and also a vac system. they will also deliver it to where we are staying, after the deal is done I will look for a truck (of course I'm looking now) thanks for all the info- let the wait begin!!

tessa

went to see the 5th wheel today- we had about an inch of rain last night. found 2 leaks- both on the sewer side (driver side)- one at the front cap and one at the rear cap.

the one at the front cap does not look like its been leaking a long time- no discolored wood where I saw the water.
not too sure about the one at the rear cap.

checked the the outside for delam and didn't see any- looked at the sidewall and underneath the front

inside I"hit" the walls and they were solid.

talked with the owner of the dealership and on Monday we are going to do the seal tech leak test and take up the carpet to see if there is any damage.

the caulking on the roof needs to be redone

thoughts?

danemayer

went to see the 5th wheel today- we had about an inch of rain last night. found 2 leaks- both on the sewer side (driver side)- one at the front cap and one at the rear cap.

the one at the front cap does not look like its been leaking a long time- no discolored wood where I saw the water.
not too sure about the one at the rear cap.

checked the the outside for delam and didn't see any- looked at the sidewall and underneath the front

inside I"hit" the walls and they were solid.

talked with the owner of the dealership and on Monday we are going to do the seal tech leak test and take up the carpet to see if there is any damage.

the caulking on the roof needs to be redone

thoughts?
Are you still planning on a Dec 1st purchase? Or have you already bought it?

danemayer

December 1st purchase
Buying previously owned RVs is always a little risky. Having a Seal Tech Leak Test done is a good step but the big unknown here is whether the leaks you found have caused damage that will manifest after December 1. If the wood under one of the caps has water damage and needs to be rebuilt in the future, it could cost you a few thousand $. Similarly expensive if delamination of a sidewall shows up.

I don't know that there's any good way to mitigate the risk other than taking a self-insure approach, funded by an additional discount on the price.

tessa

I agree, fortunately it rained and we saw the leaks.- hopefully we will find all the leaks and get them resolved, dealer said at any time I can walk away. I will need to make the decision after we do all the tests. I did some surfing on the issue and it is amazing how many people have that issue on the older campers and even some new ones and some don't even realize it. doesn't make ok to buy this one if the issues are too bad. going to be a long 4 days!

tessa

went to do an inspection on the camper yesterday and the leak was really bad- the side wall at the rear was delaminated from the window up. I was not able to see it the first time we looked and the second time it was raining. told the dealer we decided not to get it.

if the previous owner would of spent the time-money to maintain the roof this would not of been an issue. less than a few hundred dollars to keep it sealed compared to the damage the leaks did. rant over!

thanks for all the info

danemayer

went to do an inspection on the camper yesterday and the leak was really bad- the side wall at the rear was delaminated from the window up. I was not able to see it the first time we looked and the second time it was raining. told the dealer we decided not to get it.

if the previous owner would of spent the time-money to maintain the roof this would not of been an issue. less than a few hundred dollars to keep it sealed compared to the damage the leaks did. rant over!

thanks for all the info
Sorry this one didn't work out, but better to come to that conclusion before buying.

dbbls59

Good luck with your Big Country. We have the same unit but a year older and we like it very much. We tow with a F-350 Dully. The dully is not a necessity but it sure is very stable in a crosswind. Be sure and get a one ton because you will be overloaded with a 3/4 ton. Any of the late model big three will serve you very well. Pick the brand you like.