Anyone else travel with parrots?

deee2

I don't see a lot of parrots out there, but we travel with two of them. They are the boss of our house, more than any dog we ever owned was. We have a Senegal and a White Bellied Caique. I guess one of these days I better figure out how to post a picture. lol

Donna :)

deee2

I think this will work. Here they are in their 'carrying' cages.

DSC00374-1.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Great looking birds. I don't know too much about birds but we did have a Red Lori for a couple years. His name was Pepper. More like a dog than a bird though he loved to play but it was pure chaos getting him in his cage if he didn't want to go. He hated my wife too. Messy bird too. Had great aim if you know what I mean. When you travel are the birds in the truck or trailer?

deee2

The birds always travel with us in the truck. DH has rugs under their travel cages so no messes or tears. One bird gets to sit at the back window and look out, the other sits at the kitchen table if we're not using it. Both are out of their cages whenever we are there (or home). We get them back into their cages with bribery. lol They always get a small piece of fruit or almond and go in their cages on command that way. We're glad the new Bighorn has the tinted windows, as passerby's won't be as likely to come up to the windows now.

lakerats

I don't think so

I have a Caique as well... and she can get into these fits that I wouldn't want in that small of confined space.... Does your Caique get into fits?

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Traveling companions!

We have an Indian Ringneck, Sun Conure, and a love bird. They are all in separate cages, but we manage.

Our son had a black-headed Caique. We lost him in November of '07. His name was CURLY, and he was such a joy. We miss him terribly. We called him "our little clown". They are so very smart.

deee2

Daisy, our caique... is only 2 1/2 years old. How old is yours that has fits? She does do little 'blitzes' occasionally, but doesn't draw blood. She's never lunged as yet. Being she is female, I have been warned she will get hormonal and could get nasty for a couple months out of the year. We have two cages, plus two play stands... and keep the birds separated.

She is a clown and so much fun to have, I couldn't leave her home!!!

deee2

Oh, I forgot.... we now cut a large vinyl tablecloth into two pieces, one for under each bird's cage. It works wonder for easy cleanup!~

lakerats

Our Caique is 3.5 yrs and has hit the hormones HARD... she'll let you know when she isn't happy and mad. We have dogs that are older and can't travel anymore so we have a friend stay at the house when we travel so she isn't left alone no more then we we are at work. She is very much a clone and can be very loving...but has her moments too... and that is when we just don't handle her; until she has calmed down.

deee2

I guess Daisy is getting hormonal. She is trying to mate with several things these past few days. When your caique goes through this does she lose any of her white feathers? I have been warned that they can get very scary during this time. eeeks