Have you experienced Lippert Level Up Popping.

Have you experienced "popping" sounds when Lippert level-up system is in use?

• Yes

Votes: 50 82.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 18.0%

• Total voters

RoadJunkie

Lippert Level up Popping Sounds

I'm interested in how systemic the popping sound problem is with Hearland owners.

danemayer

Re: Lippert Level up Popping Sounds

I'm interested in how systemic the popping sound problem is with Hearland owners.

Lippert addressed the popping sound several years ago with LIP Sheet LIP 0295 which you can find here.

Based on past posts, the recommendations in the LIP Sheet worked completely for some, partially for others. However, the posts complaining about noise were quite frequent in 2011 and 2012 and have since come down to a trickle.

So, are you one who has followed Lippert's recommendations without success?

rxbristol

I've tried two different additives with limited success. The popping is tied to temperature fluctuation, as stated by Lippert. I've found two methods that greatly reduce the popping.

1. Limit the extension of the jacks by using taller blocks. My landing gear blocks are from four to six inches tall.
2. A level site also helps by seemingly reducing landing gear stress on one side or the other.

A byproduct of taller landing gear blocks is increased rig stability due to less landing gear flex.

SNOKING

As it heats and cools here in the desert it is a bit like popcorn in the microwave. I have a quart of Lippert's suggested fluid to add, however I have not gotten around to putting it in. Chris

Mburtsvt

I got this reply from Emily at Lippert and forwarded it to the dealer who was fixing warranty items this past July. Went to pick up my unit and the “fork oil” was added to the system at no charge. Since then - no popping. This was on a new 2016 Landmark Madison.

Good evening Michael I am not sure if you had issues with this concern of popping Jacks in the past but Lippert does not necessarily deny assistance if the addictive is needed. The system is working as designed however sometimes that popping can be air, or what we have seen is possible change of weather or climate can cause this. So it is not technically a defect, and nothing physically needs to be replaced, just added to assist with the concern.If a customer contacts us and expresses that they would like assistance with reimbursement of the fluid cost we would certainly be willing to work with them. Hope this helps clear a few things up for you Emily Stahley Technical Coordinator Customer Support Services Lippert Components

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Len

Never had any popping on my new 2016 Big Horn. I try and always use blocks under my front landing gears.

Did you get your new rig yet??

RoadJunkie

I got this reply from Emily at Lippert

I suppose Emily is technically correct, from the Lippert perspective, in that the system is designed to level the trailer and no expectations are expressed regarding performing that function without noisy side effects. To me it appears there is an effort to minimize the problem, by Lippert and others, to that of a simple annoyance. My informal anecdotal survey indicates the spontaneous nature of the noise can be quite unnerving. It may appear the problem is not tracking with late model trailers, but I believe it may be just as common and that workarounds, like reducing the throw of the leveling stem, mask the numbers. Anyway, sounds like Lippert will be supportive if you're willing to pursue it.

Jim; no new trailer at this point.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Our 2016 we bought in Jan has some popping, usually when temp swings and based on how extended the legs are. Have not located a Cat dealer that has the additive near us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

I never had the popping but I did add a quart at 2 years ago Rally

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

plshilo

We haven't heard any popping or noise from ours system..I am guessing it is when the system IS leveling??

Mburtsvt

We haven't heard any popping or noise from ours system..I am guessing it is when the system IS leveling??

Nope: It happens at any time. You could be sitting outside and all of the sudden POP! At first you think the legs are falling and the RV will hit the ground - then logic set in and you realize it's just another "pop" sound. I got to believe that people who have the bedroom in the front cap - this just has to drive them mad.

David-and-Cheryl

Nope: It happens at any time. You could be sitting outside and all of the sudden POP! At first you think the legs are falling and the RV will hit the ground - then logic set in and you realize it's just another "pop" sound. I got to believe that people who have the bedroom in the front cap - this just has to drive them mad.

We have a front bedroom, and yes the popping noise drove us mad until we figured out what it was. It sounded like the levelers were failing! A quart of that (very expensive) CAT additive fixed the problem. The phenomenon is called "hydraulic stiction", by the way, and is not limited to just the LCI Level-Up System. LCI has a tech bulletin with the details: http://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0295.pdf

plshilo

Guys,
This is something we have Never heard, I wish we had so I would know what to expect. As you can see we have a new 5er so maybe lippert has done something to correct to problem, doses anyone know if has happened to new units??????

Gary521

Yes, it still happens to new units. As far as I can tell, some have the issue and some don't.

Grizpaul

We have a front bedroom, and yes the popping noise drove us mad until we figured out what it was. It sounded like the levelers were failing! A quart of that (very expensive) CAT additive fixed the problem. The phenomenon is called "hydraulic stiction", by the way, and is not limited to just the LCI Level-Up System. LCI has a tech bulletin with the details: http://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0295.pdf

X2. That expensive CAT additive was very much worth it in our case. We began to experience the loud (and very disconcerting) popping noise summer of 2015 when we were in Montana. It occurred in the evenings when the temperatures dropped 35 - 40 degrees or so. These temperature drops don't trigger the popping now, much to our relief.

Go-Fly

I ordered my new 5th without the auto level. Still had to get the hydraulic landing gear. Leaked and popped from the first day I received it. I replaced the bad cylinder and changed all the oil because they are mounted at an angle putting the cylinders in a bind. Not sure why they don't use the correct fluid to start with.

DWChris

Going to get some of this additive and try it. I have a 2014 Landmark and mine has always "popped". Usually as soon as I get in bed and I think the whole thing is going to hit the ground (I know it's not going to). It's aggravating. Glad to hear of this (possible) solution.

Of the 3 additives - do any of you recommend one over the other?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Guys,
This is something we have Never heard, I wish we had so I would know what to expect. As you can see we have a new 5er so maybe lippert has done something to correct to problem, doses anyone know if has happened to new units??????

Ours is 4 months old now and we've (I have anyway) heard it a few times. Seems to happen in the wee hours of the morning as temperatures fall. We were in the mountains at the NC rally in early November and as the temperature fell through the 40's into the high 30's overnight I heard a couple of pops.