Can My Vehicle Tow the Big Horn 3055

RVFun4Us

Hello All. DW and I are looking at a Big Horn 3055 for possible purchase. Concern we have is our tow vehicle. We have a 1998 Dodge 2500 V-10, with a GVWR of 8800 lbs and a weight of 7100 lbs with both of us and all gear. The listed GCWR is 19000 lbs and Tow Capacity is 13,200 lbs. The 3055 has a dry weight of 11,300 lbs, a GVWR of 14,000 lbs, and pin weight of 2060 lbs. If I add the pin weight alone to my rig fully loaded, the overall weight would be 9160 lbs, or 360 lbs over my GVWR. This doesn't account for any other items we would load into the Big Horn which would take the overall weight even higher. We currently carry about 1200 lbs of stuff in our current rig. We don't carry water. Now even though the Big Horn loaded would weigh 12,500 lbs, when it is hooked up to the truck, I believe the pin weight shifts to the tow vehicle and reduces the overall weight of the Big Horn by the same amount. Am I right in stating this? So I conclude that if this is true in computing the GCWR, the truck would weigh around 9160 lbs and the Big Horn 10,440 lbs (12,500 - 2060 pin weight transferred to the truck). Again, if that is true, then my total weight would be 19,600 lbs, or 600 lbs over my GCWR. I apologize for the lengthy post but need this answered so I can decide how to proceed. True, I would be over on both GVWR of the truck and GCWR, but is it significant enough to say no to the 3055? There are several 3/4 ton trucks pulling Heartland products and that is the basis for my questions. I would really appreciate your input. Thanks

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Sheri and Bob
My pin weight is 3230 lbs with our "stuff" in it and NO water which gives our truck a total of 9800 lbs. that is 600 lbs. over weight for the GVWR. All has worked OK so far. Niether axel is over weight

RVFun4Us

Thanks for your reply Sailorand. I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum many times but it is obviously important. I have seen many 2500 HD GM trucks towing not only the Heartland products but others as well. Are they all overweight? If I need another truck before buying the Big Horn, then that is what I will do. But need some advice from those of you out there towing similar RVs. Thanks for any more responses that I get.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sheri and Bob
My pin weight is 3230 lbs with our "stuff" in it and NO water which gives our truck a total of 9800 lbs. that is 600 lbs. over weight for the GVWR. All has worked OK so far. Niether axel is over weight
Wow! Sailorand, what do you carry in the nose of that 5ver? Our 3400 averages around 2700-2800 and we're full time. Maybe I do have room for that table saw:eek:.

BobSue

pin weight

The pin weight on my 3055RL is 2640#.

This puts me over total GCWR but under for each axle.

I wish I had the full ton truck to pull the trailer. We love the 3055 but I hate having to watch every pound I put in the basement and moving my tools from the basement to the back end inside before towing.

I am sure a one ton tv is in my future.

RVFun4Us

We know a 1 Ton is in our future also. Just hoping that we can get by with the 2500, V10 for short time. We hate to lose the great $$ on the 3055!

ccd001

Just thought I should let you I have a BH 3055 which I towed with a 2007
Chev 2500CC hd with the diesel. Had plently of power but not enough
truck for the 3055. I was always overloaded so I swapped the 07 2500
for a 07 Chev 3500 cc hd with dual rear wheels and I have been amazed at the difference it made the way the truck drives and I don't get the
side swaying I got with the 2500 truck. Now I can load want ever I want
and not be concerned about being over weight. By the way the 3055 is
an awesome coach. We bought it Sept 07 and it has been trouble free
so far. I hope you enjoy your Big Horn like we do.
See Ya.
Clay D

deee2

We towed our brand new coach home a few weeks ago with our Dodge 2500 HD diesel. It did 'feel' the wind blowing, and just didn't feel like enough truck for the Bighorn. So to be safe and secure, legally and psychologically, we upgraded to the F350 in my signature.

We haven't towed with it yet, still waiting for the bed liner and then the hitch to be installed. SIGH!

Donna :)

RVFun4Us

Thanks Clay and Donna. We decided to go ahead and buy the 3055. It was a great deal and we have wanted one for a long time. Again, we realize a 1-ton truck would be better and plan to upgrade down the road, just not now. So we pick the 3055 up on July 23rd after a few fixes. We also have a great checklist that we will use for the walk-around that day. By the way, after we bought the 3055, the dealer towed it to their main lot with a 2500 CD. Evidently the dealer uses that truck for towing all their fifth wheels and it has over 200,000 miles on it. Now we just have to wait nine days to pick it up. Thanks everyone for your replies. We really appreciate it.