Ram Mega Cab

Go-Fly

Started out with a Duramax and changed to a Cat. Had to order it, in order to get everything that I wanted. Went with the Mega Cab short box because we like the room and don't need the bed space. Getting some miles on it before we start towing. Have it in today getting running boards, aux fuel tank and mud flaps installed. So far I like it better then the Chevy.

New Truck.jpg

sengli

I had a new 2011 duramax powered silverado before too. Only traded it because of the DEF issue's, that left me stranded once for three days. I would have to say this RAM does in my opinion, pull harder than the chevy did. Both are or were great tow platforms, and were equipped with 3.73 gears. I went with the opposite configuration of yours. Would rather have the bed space, than more cabin room. I ended up putting a little over 1K miles on our before I started towing.

Attachments

• IMAG0005.jpg
    IMAG0005.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 91

Gaffer

Started out with a Duramax and changed to a Cat. Had to order it, in order to get everything that I wanted. Went with the Mega Cab short box because we like the room and don't need the bed space. Getting some miles on it before we start towing. Have it in today getting running boards, aux fuel tank and mud flaps installed. So far I like it better then the Chevy.

View attachment 48671

Cat?

Power247

Congrats on your new Cummins! Sharp lookin truck!

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Bobby A

I've had my Mega Cab for 9 years, and I love love love my truck. I wanted the space in the back for our 2 labs. I tell my wife everytime we go through the mountains and utilize the exhaust brake how much I love the truck. Congrats on the truck you will love it!!

szewczyk_john

I am in the market to get another new Ram. This time it will be a 3500 dually. My 2006 just keeps performing the way a cummins should which kind makes it hard to pull a trigger and spend that much on a new one. It may not look as good as it once did but mechanically she still gets the job done. I just want the dually for safety and stability reasons. I plan on getting the 4:10 gearing, what did you go with?

Hulk

I just picked up the same truck 17 ram 3500 drw 4:10 rear end. Coming from a 2015 ram 2500, which I gave to my wife it is a whole lot more truck. You won't be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I am in the market to get another new Ram. This time it will be a 3500 dually. My 2006 just keeps performing the way a cummins should which kind makes it hard to pull a trigger and spend that much on a new one. It may not look as good as it once did but mechanically she still gets the job done. I just want the dually for safety and stability reasons. I plan on getting the 4:10 gearing, what did you go with?

John,
Went from an 2007 with the 3:73 to a 2016 with the 4:10. What a great pulling truck. You will not be disappointed!!

Go-Fly

I went with the 373 and the Aisin transmission. I'm only pulling 16k and the truck was bought just to pull this trailer. If I was pulling a bigger load, I for sure would go to the 410.

JWalker

I went with the 373 and the Aisin transmission. I'm only pulling 16k and the truck was bought just to pull this trailer. If I was pulling a bigger load, I for sure would go to the 410.

Yeh, Forgot to mention the Aisin trans. Worth the money. Consistently running 165° trans temp while towing. Pulling the mountains, I only see 171°-172°. Only pulling around 15,000 pounds, but never know when it's time to upgrade to something bigger and heavier… LOL.

Go-Fly

Yeh, Forgot to mention the Aisin trans. Worth the money. Consistently running 165° trans temp while towing. Pulling the mountains, I only see 171°-172°. Only pulling around 15,000 pounds, but never know when it's time to upgrade to something bigger and heavier… LOL.

Go with the Aisin for sure. It works well with the 373 because it has a 375 first gear and the 200 second gear. The old 68RFE had a 323 first and 184 second. Someone can do the math and tell us what the difference is between the 68 with the 410 and the new Aisin with the 373. I'm not sure I want to pull a bigger 5th then what I have. If I do, I'll get a way bigger truck.

szewczyk_john

I was planing on getting the Aisin Tranny. As of now I am pulling lighter than all of you but I plan on keeping this for a long time and you never know what lies ahead. My thought process is that it is always better to own a tool and not need to use than it is to need it and not have it. My 2500 pulls my "little" RW 305 but the king pin weight is a bit much for it. About 7 years ago I had one of those once in a lifetime deals come my way on a Elite Design custom built that a friend was trying to unload due to health reasons. I just did not have enough truck for that monster. I am going to wait until the National Rally and see what Classy Chassis has to offer and then go from there.

firemailwv

View attachment 48671

Looks like the one I have in my garage that now has 367 miles. So far I love it. SOOOO much nicer than the 03 Laramie I traded in for it. The trucks have came light years ahead in comfort and features in 13 years. Can't wait to pull my Big Country with it in the spring. Excited to see what the 900 lb ft and 4.10's will do compared to the 5.9 with 3.73's. Its amazing that the torque is almost double (460 to 900).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JWalker

Looks like the one I have in my garage that now has 367 miles. So far I love it. SOOOO much nicer than the 03 Laramie I traded in for it. The trucks have came light years ahead in comfort and features in 13 years. Can't wait to pull my Big Country with it in the spring. Excited to we what the 900 lb ft and 4.10's will do compared to the 5.9 with 3.73's. Its amazing that the torque is almost double (460 to 900).

You are right, definitely quite the upgrade from the trucks of 10 years ago. I bet 900 lb/ft of torque will tame those mountains in WV.

firemailwv

You are right, definitely quite the upgrade from the trucks of 10 years ago. I bet 900 lb/ft of torque will tame those mountains in WV.

The old truck did fine after I turned it up with a programmer, but my two buddies that I travel with are pulling with new duramax's and I always end up leading the convoy and could tell I was hurting them on the steeper pulls. They would never say so, but I know what it's like to lose your head of steam cause you come up on a slower rig. Even being a few thousand heavier than them, I should do ok now. Before I would pull down to 59 or 60 in third gear. I know it's not a race, it I like having a little more than needed rather than not enough. And the kids have tons of room in the mega cab.

Bones

The old truck did fine after I turned it up with a programmer, but my two buddies that I travel with are pulling with new duramax's and I always end up leading the convoy and could tell I was hurting them on the steeper pulls. They would never say so, but I know what it's like to lose your head of steam cause you come up on a slower rig. Even being a few thousand heavier than them, I should do ok now. Before I would pull down to 59 or 60 in third gear. I know it's not a race, it I like having a little more than needed rather than not enough. And the kids have tons of room in the mega cab.

If you were pulling well then why did you get a newer truck? I'm just curious

firemailwv

If you were pulling well then why did you get a newer truck? I'm just curious

Because the new trucks are so nice. Plus I thought I was at a crucial point of being able to still get good money out of my truck. It was a pretty desirable truck with the 5.9 and only 75k miles on a Laramie dually. I tried to sell mine locally prior to trading it in, but no one I spoke to wanted to pay that much for a truck that was 13 years old. So when the dealer gave me about 2500 less than I thought it was worth retail and then still sold me their new truck at a good price, I jumped on it.

And I have not been disappointed yet. It is soooo much more truck than the 03.

Believe me, I really put a lot of thought into whether or not to keep running the 03. But I was trying to maximize my equity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk