ATF: Mallard - Solar panel connection

tlassen

My wife and I recently purchased the Mallard IDM231. Among many things we were attracted to the solar ready receptacle. I am interested in a portable panel that generates 100-150 watts with a longer cord so I can set the panel on the roof during storage. I have found no information from Heartland regarding the connection prewired into the trailer or its connector. I am sure that Heartland researched and designed the connection based on existing and available equipment. Any recommendations as to brands. models, etc. is greatly appreciated

danemayer

Hi tlassen,

As I understand it, the connector just has wires routed to the battery so you can use a portable solar setup or more easily install one. In addition to the panel, I think you also need a controller. If you haven't already done so, you might browse the existing threads in the Solar sub-forum, here. And of course, other owners are likely to chime in with suggestions.

tlassen

Thanks Dan...the connection is setup for a plug and play install. The dealer said there were several brands that would plug directly into the connection and the portable panels would come with controller. I have found several that meet my requirement that connect directly onto battery or I could fabricate a connection but would prefer to use as designed. I think Heartland has just not included details on this new feature.

Bigbovine

May be too late, but others can use this information. The connector on the Mallards is by "Furrion". They have a 95 watt panel with controller that connects to it. There are Two companies that make an adapter as well as portable panels. They are Zamp and Go Power. I am sure there are other panels that can be used but that is what I have found. From what I have researched, the biggest you can go without changing wires and fuses (if you wish to use the connector) is 120 watt panels.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bigbovine, welcome to this great forum, and thanks for that information. It's sure to help someone in the future.
Be sure to check our our owners club. You can find out about it by clicking on the Owners Club tab at to top of any page.
And be sure to check out the many rallies and events around the country. Click on the Events tab located at the top of any page.

Peace
Dave

May be too late, but others can use this information. The connector on the Mallards is by "Furrion". They have a 95 watt panel with controller that connects to it. There are Two companies that make an adapter as well as portable panels. They are Zamp and Go Power. I am sure there are other panels that can be used but that is what I have found. From what I have researched, the biggest you can go without changing wires and fuses (if you wish to use the connector) is 120 watt panels.

Just for more confirmation, I contacted Heartland to ask about solar connections. Here is their response:

This is a Furrion plug system. I have attached a link for Furrion & one to Zamp Solar which offers a plug adapter to convert their products to the Furrion application prep. Zamp seems to be more reasonably priced & offer more options.

http://furrion.com/category-electrical/landing-solar/

http://www.zampsolar.com/product/furrion-solar-port-adapter/

Thanks,

Dealer Services
Heartland Rv
877-262-8032

Hope this helps

Roger