sleep number bed

Bobby A

I just ordered a sleep number bed, its a 60X80 standard queen, that's whats in my rig now and what came with it. I took the mattress off to measure the platform and its at 58 inches so obviously the mattress hangs over by 2 inches. Do you guys think I need to add 2 inches for the sleep number bed or will this sleep number bed be alright to hang over also ?? Thanks in advance.
Bobby

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bobby, it can hang over just like a regular mattress. However, you may not want to sit on the edge when it's set to a low number, as it may not support you. We air ours to "full" after rising, so if you sit on the edge it does not compress. It's easy to do, get up, hit one button and it fills. Hit our memory setting once we get in bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary521

If you do the math and think about it a bit, you will see that it only hangs over 1 " on each side. I have the same thing and no problems.

Bobby A

Thanks guys, I just wanted to get the opinions on those who have them, as I would not want to damage the air champers. Also, did you guys put the pump under your bed and drill holes for the air tubes ??
Thanks,

TravelTiger

Thanks guys, I just wanted to get the opinions on those who have them, as I would not want to damage the air champers. Also, did you guys put the pump under your bed and drill holes for the air tubes ??
Thanks,

Bobby, we did put the pump under the bed and had holes to guide the hoses on our ElkRidge.

On the BIgCountry, the pump sits beside the bed on the floor, just because we haven't had time to make the mod. It's really been fine. You just have to make sure to unplug it and put it on the bed before pulling in the slide.

Bobby A

Bobby, we did put the pump under the bed and had holes to guide the hoses on our ElkRidge.

On the BIgCountry, the pump sits beside the bed on the floor, just because we haven't had time to make the mod. It's really been fine. You just have to make sure to unplug it and put it on the bed before pulling in the slide.

O.K. thanks, I think while I have the old mattress off the platform I mize well do it right the first time and drill the holes and mount the pump under the bed. I think I will have to remove the platform part that houses the slide out won't I ?? I think my platform has 2 pieces of wood, I think !! LOL Well at least you guys said that I shouldn't have to add wood to make up the 2 inch difference on the sides so I can spend a little more time on mounting the motor and hoses. Thanks again, Bobby

TravelTiger

Here's some pics of our install in the ElkRidge. We did have to remove the platform to safely drill and route the hoses.

IMG_7203.jpg
Hoses coming out from underneath, it the far corner of the platform.
IMG_7264.jpg
Pump located under the bed. (In our case, power had to come from a plug on the wall by the closet door.)

Erika

porthole

Retired
Bobby, it can hang over just like a regular mattress. However, you may not want to sit on the edge when it's set to a low number, as it may not support you. We air ours to "full" after rising, so if you sit on the edge it does not compress. It's easy to do, get up, hit one button and it fills. Hit our memory setting once we get in bed.

Doesyourmattressnothavethefoamsurround,

Does your mattress not have the foam surround? We can sit on the edge of our house's sleep number.

TravelTiger

Doesyourmattressnothavethefoamsurround,

Does your mattress not have the foam surround? We can sit on the edge of our house's sleep number.

It does, but when you have a low sleep number like we do, with no weight in the bed, the bed is very squishy. Foam edge is supportive but will still compress when you sit on it if there's not much air in the chambers.

Bobby A

Here's some pics of our install in the ElkRidge. We did have to remove the platform to safely drill and route the hoses.

View attachment 48726
Hoses coming out from underneath, it the far corner of the platform.
View attachment 48727
Pump located under the bed. (In our case, power had to come from a plug on the wall by the closet door.)

Erika

Thanks for the pics Erika, I should expect mine to arrive in about a week, I will swing back when I receive it if I have more questions. Well now that I think of it, is it easy to put together ?? Is there a step by step quick guide to installation ?? Do you guys like yours?? Just courious on what settings(number) you guys prefer ??

Thanks a bunch,
Bobby

TravelTiger

It's easy to assemble. Yes there's a quick guide. Settings are personal preference. Ours have evolved, and each bed is different. Our queen settings were different from the king we have now.

gasman

Camp Socializer
We have the residential queen size and it fits just fine on the platform. I removed the small section of platform under the head of the bed and installed a small shelf for the pump so that it is off the floor about two inches. There was a small gap along the side of the pedestal to snake the cord through to plug it in. I drilled two holes through the wafer board near the headwall about a third of the way in from each side for the air tubes to pass through. We have found that as we travel we have to adjust the pressure due to elevation changes. According to a Sleep Number engineer, it is not necessary to deflate the bed prior to travel as the fluctuations will never be enough to damage the bladders.

Gary521

I can tell you that the settings are going to be a very personal thing. From a earlier post of yours, I too drilled holes for the air lines and put the pump under the bed. I ran the power line to the outlets on the side of the bed. I have used the same mattress on two different 5th wheels. The slide configuration was different on each of them so the pump location may vary a bit.

Yes, like gasman said, altitude changes will affect the pressure inside the air bladders.

Bobby A

Glad you all chimed in, I can't wait to get mine soon, I've been dilly dallying around with this and finally pulled the trigger and ordered one. Looking forward to its arrival. Thank you all for contributing to this thread. Again, I will post back after its arrival.
Blessings,
Bobby A

Bobby A

Glad you all chimed in, I can't wait to get mine soon, I've been dilly dallying around with this and finally pulled the trigger and ordered one. Looking forward to its arrival. Thank you all for contributing to this thread. Again, I will post back after its arrival.
Blessings,
Bobby A

Well, it wasn't long after I made this post this morning, I heard a truck pull up and beep its horn, usually the UPS guys does this, so I looked out and sure enough a young man was walking up with a big box so I new it had to be my sleep number bed. I went out and picked the box and brought it inside and the UPS guy told me to hold on he had one more box. I brought both boxes inside and started looking at the direction and made sure everything was there. I really had no intentions on doing the install today but I looked at the clock and it was only 1 in the afternoon and I didn't have anything going on for the rest of the day. I started tearing the old bed and bedding apart and dove right into it. It took me a couple hours as I took my time and made the measurements/ cuts for the air tubes and ran them under the platform. All went together pretty easy. So its all installed and looking forward to see what kind of sleep I will get. I know a new mattress takes time for your body to adjust to it, I'm thinking maybe I should make my settings in 5 increments until I get to a number I really like. The guys at the sleep number store did my numbers and had me at 55, I don't think he did a very good job as others that I have talked to there sales guys really did a fine tune for them. So, we will see how it all plays out. Thank you all for contributing to this Thread and thanks Erika for the pic, as I followed your example pics to do my install.

Thanks everyone,
Bobby A

2TrakR

Changed the plywood on ours to be wider and longer, to better fit the sleep # bed. Without extending it, the end would "sag" as there wasn't enough support under it.

TravelTiger

Well, it wasn't long after I made this post this morning, I heard a truck pull up and beep its horn, usually the UPS guys does this, so I looked out and sure enough a young man was walking up with a big box so I new it had to be my sleep number bed. I went out and picked the box and brought it inside and the UPS guy told me to hold on he had one more box. I brought both boxes inside and started looking at the direction and made sure everything was there. I really had no intentions on doing the install today but I looked at the clock and it was only 1 in the afternoon and I didn't have anything going on for the rest of the day. I started tearing the old bed and bedding apart and dove right into it. It took me a couple hours as I took my time and made the measurements/ cuts for the air tubes and ran them under the platform. All went together pretty easy. So its all installed and looking forward to see what kind of sleep I will get. I know a new mattress takes time for your body to adjust to it, I'm thinking maybe I should make my settings in 5 increments until I get to a number I really like. The guys at the sleep number store did my numbers and had me at 55, I don't think he did a very good job as others that I have talked to there sales guys really did a fine tune for them. So, we will see how it all plays out. Thank you all for contributing to this Thread and thanks Erika for the pic, as I followed your example pics to do my install.

Thanks everyone,
Bobby A

Good to hear, Bobby! That reminds me, our first one came in two boxes, but I didn't know that it would. We got one box one day, opened and was upset that there were lots of parts missing! Called Camping World and they told me I should have a second box which came the next day.

Glad it was an easy install.