Boondocking For Beginners

BigGuy82

We've stayed at a lot of campgrounds and that's OK, but occassionally, we'd like to get off the beaten path. Any recommendations for sources of information regarding booddocking sites that are safe and accessable? We love it all - mountains, lakes, desert - anything but a lovely view of some city. We'll be on our way to the South in March, then over to the Dakotas in May. Also going to do an Alaska "adventure" but that will likely hold until summer 2018.

Anyway, just looking to be pointed in the right direction for some info to get started.

Oregon_Camper

I grew up boondocking, so we have plenty of great spot here in Oregon. I'd ask around (like you are)...check BLM for sites.

Here is what bookdocking will get you in Oregon. There is nothing here...no water, power, sewer. Just great views and a great lake to fish and kayak on.

DSC00103.jpg

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We don't boondock much . . . but I know some cool places here in Colorado!

Oregon_Camper

We don't boondock much . . . but I know some cool places here in Colorado!

I would LOVE to get a list of your top boondocking location in Colorado. I'll add them to my list of place to go once we retire and head out for our 2 year adventure.

JohnD

Most of the spots I know are up Poudre Canyon west of Ft. Collins.

There is a town called Red Feathers and is a popular place for off-roaders and the other spots are up Pingree Park Road.

Another that we used to go to is Camp Hale near Leadville, although they stopped off-road camping a few years back after they found unexploded munitions around the area as this was an army training camp during WWII, however, the campground there is still open (no hookups, so kinda like boonedocking).

The Colorado HOC had a campout there both this year and last year, although we were unable to attend either.

Here is a shot I took at Camp Hale several years ago:

CampHale1jpg.jpg
Shot taken back in the film days

BigGuy82

Most of the spots I know are up Poudre Canyon west of Ft. Collins.

There is a town called Red Feathers and is a popular place for off-roaders and the other spots are up Pingree Park Road.

Another that we used to go to is Camp Hale near Leadville, although they stopped off-road camping a few years back after they found unexploded munitions around the area as this was an army training camp during WWII, however, the campground there is still open (no hookups, so kinda like boonedocking).

The Colorado HOC had a campout there both this year and last year, although we were unable to attend either.

Here is a shot I took at Camp Hale several years ago:

View attachment 48782
Shot taken back in the film days

We had a plant in Ft Collins and I've been to Poudre many time - always thought it was a beautiful area. Just the ride was beautiful. Of course, the whole state west of Denver is beautiful ...

JohnD

Let us know when you will be here . . .

Maybe you can make a Rally, or at least get together for a chat!

Gaffer

I grew up boondocking, so we have plenty of great spot here in Oregon. I'd ask around (like you are)...check BLM for sites.

Here is what bookdocking will get you in Oregon. There is nothing here...no water, power, sewer. Just great views and a great lake to fish and kayak on.

View attachment 48750

Where is this? Looks like Mt. Washington.