High Intensity Headlights

BigGuy82

I love my 2016 F350 diesel dually, but I'd like brighter headlights. I'm interested in any experience anyone has with upgrade kits ... brands, ease of installation, effectiveness, etc. I had HID lights on previous vehicles and I miss them.

Oregon_Camper

Do you drive a lot at night while not towing? Reason I ask, is perhaps you're pin weight is a bit too much and the front of your truck might be pointed up a bit, thereby removing the effectiveness of your headlights.

I think the lights on my 2016 F-350 Dully are perfect.

rxbristol

I also want to upgrade my headlights...the owner's manual and Youtube videos all show the same procedure--removal or partial removal of the front grill is necessary to change out the front lights, but it looks easy.

IronJ

Stock lights SUCK...and if you have owned any vehicle with good hid or led lights you realize REAL FAST....especially at night with a 20k trailer increasing pucker factor...

I have 4-5 sets of 250/350 lights under my belt..

55w hid projector retro fit is the way to go for best performance....but it depends on how much you want to work..it requires baking/opening the stock assembly and some slight cutting and then light mounting....not to mention wiring of the ballasts...its not real hard just tedious...

As for a replacement bulb DO NOT stick a hid in the stock housing...it sucks as bad but is brighter and will ****** off other drivers....

If you want a better bulb go to a led high output...but it has to be clocked directly to work in stock housing (led have to point at 3 oclock and 9 oclock in housing)

Im currently running 55w hid retros in aftermarket housing with rigid 4" hyperspots AND Rigid 4" driving pods in bumper...

And 2 20" rigid bars in ulper and lower grill housing....

I can go from see road good to see next city good!!! Lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

rhodies1

Do you drive a lot at night while not towing? Reason I ask, is perhaps you're pin weight is a bit too much and the front of your truck might be pointed up a bit, thereby removing the effectiveness of your headlights.

I also have a F350 Super Duty and the headlights are terrible,I have upgraded them to Slyvania Ultras which helped but still not great.I am going to install in the opening beside the front license plate holder,2 Ridgid LED spot /flood driving lights.Im hooking them up to the upfitter switches.

BigGuy82

Nope. I installed Air Lifts to correct this. I am not satisfied with the lights at any time (towing or not) because on my 2014 F150 I had HID lights and they are far superior to the lights on the F350. I don't believe the Super Duty trucks even had an HID option until 2017. If you've never had HID's, you can't appreciate how much better they are.

Last edited:

Bohemian

HID bulbs should go in HID housings with HID reflectors.

The housing and reflector should be matched to the bulb type to get the correct legal pattern. Otherwise you will be spraying light into oncoming traffic and causing problems. Though many do just this.

kf5qby

I installed an aftermarket set on my old 2003 Ram 3500 CTD. They worked great right up till it got cold. The heater grid cycling kept turning the headlights off because of the voltage drop from the current draw.

Something to keep in mind.

BigGuy82

The housing and reflector should be matched to the bulb type to get the correct legal pattern. Otherwise you will be spraying light into oncoming traffic and causing problems. Though many do just this.

These seem to do that. Looks like plug and play, but $500. New housing, new reflectors and new lights. Don't know if there are any other electronics tucked inside.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/2011-2015-F250-F350-Super-Duty-Headlights.html

Or better yet (just found this one)

http://www.customhid.com/FORD-HID-Kit/F350/

Last edited:

Lynn1130

Are there any after-market out there that are legal for highway use? Most I found stated that they were not legal.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Lately I've been seeing a lot of Jeeps and big trucks (like all of ours) mounting those big long LED bar lights on the front bumper.

Cool, I guess, but many are driving with them on all the time and they are way too bright for every day driving.

I would think those are only for off-road use.

I've flashed my brights at them and I've had a couple of them turn on everything they have and just leave them on until they have passed by.

:mad:

IronJ

Are there any after-market out there that are legal for highway use? Most I found stated that they were not legal.
Rigid makes a dot legal driving pod/fog light..

The standard off road pods are far too bright and blind oncoming traffic...i

IronJ

I ran this setup in my srw..still requires opening the stock housing and very very minimal cutting/snipping...and of course mounting the ballast and running a few wires....easily a lazy sat job for someone with mediocre skills.

http://retro-solutions.net/product-...tml=/asc_action=SetCurrentProduct/prod_id=664

Attachments

• projector hid retrofit 040.jpg
    projector hid retrofit 040.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 48
  • projector hid retrofit 046_opt.jpg
    projector hid retrofit 046_opt.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 48

LBR

I too am unhappy with my vintage 2003 Ford truck factory headlights...looking at lighting options as well.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I wonder if the LED headlight option on the 2017s are any good?

I've seen them (2017 Ford F350) at night.

I personally think they look good during the day, but hideous at night.

Not sure where they came up with that look, but not for me.

IronJ

I wonder if the LED headlight option on the 2017s are any good?
The led light is sexy ...and better than the halogen junk...

But side by side to a hid setup it still lacks the throw and crispness of a hid projector ..given the choices from factory the led is better imho...

As for looks that is arbitrary i guess..i like the lights....just not the grill or dually fenders

mlpeloquin

If you drive at night pulling the rig, you need to get the air lift to level the truck. Otherwise you will blind everyone coming at you with non standard very bright head lights. Think safety. That is one reason I got them. The other one is that they do take a lot of the road shock out of the ride with the load.

IronJ

Same here...the 55w bixenon projectors are STUPID bright ..and the way the high beam cut off works (its a metal lid that flips up) if they are not aimied correctly they will look like high beams to oncoming traffic and even worse they do not light up the road in frint of you correctly....ride height is a MUST if you do projectors!!!