Did you get the correct gauge with your Viair?

alwaysbusy

This past week I learned something and figured I'd pass it along. I took advantage of the Black Friday deals and purchased the Viair 400P-RV. I liked its reviews and its 150 psi capability. I read the instructions on inflating 110-145 psi tires and how the cut-in/cut-out responds. I received the compressor and then saw the physical gauge only read to 130 psi with 110-130 being in the red shaded area.????? Even though I only need 110 psi, I would expect the gauge to be reflective of the compressors ability. I contacted Viair.

Viair confirmed the compressors 150 psi ability and stated that in most cases the provided 130 psi gauge is sufficient. However, if requested by the customer, and a receipt can be shown, they will ship free of charge the larger gauge to replace the one provided.

It confounds me as to why they would mismatch the gauge/compressor; nonetheless, if you have this unit check your gauge as you can get the larger one for free.

danemayer

When I was shopping for tire gauges, I looked at one that went up to 200 psi. The markings were very close together. I opted for a gauge with a lower maximum that was easier to read in the range I was using.

Maybe Viair is thinking the same thing.

CarterKraft

When I was shopping for tire gauges, I looked at one that went up to 200 psi. The markings were very close together. I opted for a gauge with a lower maximum that was easier to read in the range I was using.

Maybe Viair is thinking the same thing.

This would be my thought as well. If I were to check the pressure you might need a gauge to read higher but to fill the tires the max would be 110 psi.

A 130 psi scale sounds correct to me.

Gaffer

My Viair gauge matches my digital gauge which was tested by Ron Russel as well.

Last edited:

pegmikef

My Viair gauge matches my digital gauge.

The gauge that came with my Viair 450P is dead on with a gauge I had tested by Ron Russel (Titan disc brakes and tires) and also matches my TPMS psi values. Frankly, I never noticed how high it went because I only use 110 psi. The only time my compressor has shut down because of high pressure is because of some blockage causing back pressure (i.e., my so called "flow thru" TPMS valves).