Water Pump left running after winterizing

Bighorn3875

I have a 2014 Bighorn 3875. After winterizing I went back in the camper after 7 days and heard the water pump running. I obviously had other things on my mind and left the pump running. I haven't tried it out because I just put antifreeze in the water lines, but does anyone think the pump is damaged after running dry for 7 days?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Try running some antifreeze through it to see if it still pumps.

rhodies1

I have a 2014 Bighorn 3875. After winterizing I went back in the camper after 7 days and heard the water pump running. I obviously had other things on my mind and left the pump running. I haven't tried it out because I just put antifreeze in the water lines, but does anyone think the pump is damaged after running dry for 7 days?

My understanding is that even if they run dry this will not hurt the unit,now saying this,7 days is a long time. Still bet it will work. Besides the motor there are not a lot of moving parts inside the pump.

porthole

Retired

If it was mine, I wouldn't worry about until the spring time. I know of more then one boat that has had the pumps left on all winter.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm confused, what do you mean by running? The pump only runs when there is demand for water. (Turning in a faucet). Did you leave a faucet open with the pump on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

My guess was empty fresh water tank, faucets open, and pump left on.

Jv75353

I did a very similar thing to our Cyclone last year when winterizing. I left the switch on in the UDC and shut the pump of from the control panel inside the trailer. When I plugged the trailer in to charge up the batteries the water pump came on and the pump ran for 6-7 days before I got it shut off. The pump worked fine this season no problems and good pressure. Hopefully you will have similar results.