Rookie questions

Out with the TT, and in with the first FW, 08 3300BHS. First outing starts this weekend. Our use rate will be one or two continuous weeks annual maybe 600 miles one way, and 6 - 8 long weekend shorter trips, less than 150 miles. New to forum, and thanks for the great info that has already been helpful. Hope I can return some useful posts at some point.

1. For some added stability, chock inserts between the wheels that extend thus locking the wheels, or king pin? or both?

2. No receiver on the bumper. Will a bolt on bumper receiver, 2", be robust enough to hold a bike rack with 4 bikes (maybe 160 lbs total)? Or, let the pro's do a hitch installation?

3. Best method to keep the exterior white? Any preventive methods make clean up easier, such as a wax job?

4. Ever a reason to balance or rotate wheels/tires?

5. FW hitch has the teflon pad. Any reason for lube? Life expectancy for the pad? Reese 16k slider.

Thanks again.

Sundance_kid

Out with the TT, and in with the first FW, 08 3300BHS. First outing starts this weekend. Our use rate will be one or two continuous weeks annual maybe 600 miles one way, and 6 - 8 long weekend shorter trips, less than 150 miles. New to forum, and thanks for the great info that has already been helpful. Hope I can return some useful posts at some point.

1. For some added stability, chock inserts between the wheels that extend thus locking the wheels, or king pin? or both?

2. No receiver on the bumper. Will a bolt on bumper receiver, 2", be robust enough to hold a bike rack with 4 bikes (maybe 160 lbs total)? Or, let the pro's do a hitch.

3. Best method to keep the exterior white? Any preventive methods make clean up easier, such as a wax job?

4. Ever a reason to balance or rotate wheels/tires?

5. FW hitch has the teflon pad. Any reason for lube? Life expectancy for the pad? Reese 16k slider.

Thanks again.

1. I use Roto Chocks on each side no king pin stabalizer.

2. Build it to the frame, as there is a lot of action as you go down the road back there.

3. I've never waxed our trailer as the new slick sides clean very ease.

4. I do, feel they may last longer.

5. No lube and run it till it falls apart, just carry a spare.

Happy trails........

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
  1. ?? don't do it myself for weekend warrior camping.
  2. ??
  3. Dawn dishwashing liquid soap gets streaks out pretty good, wax helps the grime not stick
  4. Balance yes, stops vibration.... Rotate, IMHO waste of time on a trailer, other opinions will vary.
  5. Never wore out a permanent installed teflon pad, current one on my new 5th wheel has about 15,000 miles towing on it, still looks great... Changed to a different type fifth wheel when I bought this truck a few months ago.... Lube, YES, fifth wheels have lube points for certain moving parts like the jaws. Do not lube the teflon pad.