Frigidaire not working

Capt7383

Our Three year old Frigidaire stopped cooling, it worked fine for three years. The fridge temp is 36, the freezer is 45 and is set for zero. Any body have a clue? I read that the door latches on top of the fridge may have been installed incorrectly damaging a freon line. But if that is the case would it not have become apparent within a few weeks or months? If I have to replace the fridge what would you recommend. We have a Big Country 3070re. Any advice appreciated.
This is on top of having to drag this thing to Lippert on Tuesday to get the slide fixed, very discouraging. The unit is a 2014

sjandbj

Our Three year old Frigidaire stopped cooling, it worked fine for three years. The fridge temp is 36, the freezer is 45 and is set for zero. Any body have a clue? I read that the door latches on top of the fridge may have been installed incorrectly damaging a freon line. But if that is the case would it not have become apparent within a few weeks or months? If I have to replace the fridge what would you recommend. We have a Big Country 3070re. Any advice appreciated.
This is on top of having to drag this thing to Lippert on Tuesday to get the slide fixed, very discouraging. The unit is a 2014

There is a fan in the freezer that blows air over the cooling unit into the freezer and into the refrigerator. I had mine go bad with the same symptoms. check to see if you can feel air blowing to the ice maker and over to the refrain side.

jdamude

We had a 2014 BC 3650RL. Used the trailer the first year with no problems. Travelled all over the country. We winterized the trailer and in the spring when we opened it up the fridge would not work anymore.

We had a fridge repair tech come out and with his freon sniffer he found traces around the door latches. When he removed the screws there was traces of oil on the screws.

We contacted Heartland as we were out of warranty at this point. They agreed to replace the fridge. Heartland gave us a $1600 allowance for a new one. We went to Lowes and purchased a new fridge. Be certain to look for a "counter Depth Unit". I purchased the fridge and sent the receipt to Heartland and they sent a cheque. We installed the fridge ourselves. You have to remove the doors to get it out of the unit. We placed cardboard on the floor to prevent damage.IMG_1628.jpgIMG_1627.jpgIMG_1626.jpgIMG_1625.jpgIMG_1629.jpgIMG_1630.jpgIMG_1631.jpg

Capt7383

Thanks for the respone, I will have to call a tech to sniff it out

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Capt7383

Just spoke with the wonderful people at Heartland (jamie) he said there are no issues with the refrigerators. If a line was punctured it would have lost freon immediately. We all know small leaks take time. I really didnt expect them to admit they screwed up, but for him to deny knowledge of this problem ........

Last edited:

danemayer

How did Heartland mess up when they didn't build the fridge?
Early on when Heartland started offering residential refrigerators, the factory installed brackets to the top to keep the doors closed while towing. There were a few reports where the screws penetrated freon lines and the refrigerator had to be replaced. I don't think it was very common.

If you have those brackets, it's possible the screws might have just barely contacted a freon line and the vibration from travel could have resulted in a pinhole leak after a longer period of time.

You might call back and talk to Customer Service again. Since the bracket/screw problem was short-lived, the person you spoke with might just be unaware of an old issue. Someone else might be more familiar with the problem.

Also, even if this is a manufacturing defect, warranties do expire. Once you're out of warranty, it's possible that Heartland might grant a goodwill accommodation and help you in some way. But they are not obligated to do so. Sometimes the thing to do is to discuss what happened and then ask the rep to check with management to see if Heartland is willing to help with the repair.

And of course, refrigerators can fail for any number of reasons. So it's certainly possible your situation has nothing to do with the bracket/screw issue.

Capt7383

We will be at lippert tomorrow for a slide issue, may as well stop in at heartland and try again. Many thanks for the responses

SButler83

Early on when Heartland started offering residential refrigerators, the factory installed brackets to the top to keep the doors closed while towing. There were a few reports where the screws penetrated freon lines and the refrigerator had to be replaced. I don't think it was very common.

If you have those brackets, it's possible the screws might have just barely contacted a freon line and the vibration from travel could have resulted in a pinhole leak after a longer period of time.

You might call back and talk to Customer Service again. Since the bracket/screw problem was short-lived, the person you spoke with might just be unaware of an old issue. Someone else might be more familiar with the problem.

Also, even if this is a manufacturing defect, warranties do expire. Once you're out of warranty, it's possible that Heartland might grant a goodwill accommodation and help you in some way. But they are not obligated to do so. Sometimes the thing to do is to discuss what happened and then ask the rep to check with management to see if Heartland is willing to help with the repair.

And of course, refrigerators can fail for any number of reasons. So it's certainly possible your situation has nothing to do with the bracket/screw issue.

So the faulty brackets which hold the door closed were attached at the top, right? I have 2 snap straps one on top of the other at the top right of the fridge door, and bottom right of the freezer door that anchor to the same point. sounds like I'm looking for a different issue.