Greystone Fireplace Gave Up The Ghost

rxbristol

Our Greystone fireplace finally quit on us--it would only heat when IT wanted to. I could reset it by unplugging (thermal protection circuit) for about 10 minutes and plugging it back in. Sometimes it would operate all night while other times it would quit after five minutes. I know others have found loose connections, but they all looked good. After shopping around, we're going with infrared heat with a contempary flame effect over crushed glass. Hopefully it gets here before the nights get down to 20 degrees this week.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We started having intermittent problems with ours. It would work fine until the desired heat was reached then it would not reengage ...or if the thermostat was set full it would run non-stop. I called the customer service number in the manual to find out about replacement parts about ($350.00). She suggested before ordering them to blow compressed air through the vents. Turns out dust can settle on the components and cause them to not work properly. That was two years ago and it is still working fine. Worth a try.

rxbristol

We started having intermittent problems with ours. It would work fine until the desired heat was reached then it would not reengage ...or if the thermostat was set full it would run non-stop. I called the customer service number in the manual to find out about replacement parts about ($350.00). She suggested before ordering them to blow compressed air through the vents. Turns out dust can settle on the components and cause them to not work properly. That was two years ago and it is still working fine. Worth a try.

Thanks...I'll try that.

Birchwood

The fireplace in our Landmark has failed twice and each time setting off the smoke alarm.The blower stops but the heating element stays on.The first time we replaced the blower and element and the second time I just cleaned the blower and it has worked fine since.
When the blower failed the entire countertop heated quickly and I feel would of eventually started a fire.
AS A RESULT OF THESE INCIDENTS I WOULD NEVER LEAVE THE FIREPLACE ON UNATTENDED.

rxbristol

The fireplace in our Landmark has failed twice and each time setting off the smoke alarm.The blower stops but the heating element stays on.

That's what mine starting doing. I took it outside and blew all the dust out, but it was still doing the same thing...our new infrared fireplace shipped today.

mlpeloquin

We use the fireplace in the morning and evening at times, but purchased a ceramic short tower that has a digital temperature setting set at 76 degrees. Have the short tower at night as low as 38 degrees. Kept the rig at 66 degrees at 38 outside and the bedroom at 74 degrees. It sits to the right side of the TV in the back. Turn the furnace on once in the morning and then just use the short tower and fireplace if needed. Most of the time the fireplace heating element is off because the small tower is adiquit. If it were just me, I almost would never use the furnace, but the wife likes it tosty when she gets up. I like it cooler, but you see happy wife happy life. And I don't know why with it being in the back of the fifth wheel it gets warmer in the bedroom than the living room.

rxbristol

Installed the new infrared fireplace today...WOW, should have done that years ago. It's amazing the difference infrared heat makes...EVERYTHING is warm...love it. I will have to turn it way down to make sure the propane heater comes on to keep the pipes from freezing for the next couple of days. I have the propane heat and the fireplace set at 70 degrees and it feels like it's 80 degrees in here with an outside temperature of 34 degrees and a wind of 25 mph. Did I say I love the new fireplace!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Installed the new infrared fireplace today...WOW, should have done that years ago. It's amazing the difference infrared heat makes...EVERYTHING is warm...love it. I will have to turn it way down to make sure the propane heater comes on to keep the pipes from freezing for the next couple of days. I have the propane heat and the fireplace set at 70 degrees and it feels like it's 80 degrees in here with an outside temperature of 34 degrees and a wind of 25 mph. Did I say I love the new fireplace!

Rex, give us the details and pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rxbristol

Rex, give us the details and pics!

I'll post pictures after I finish trimming it. It's not as tall as the one I removed so I'll have to add additional trim. I'm going to move it up, use the same trim that came with the original fireplace, but add an another piece to the bottom .

rxbristol

Rex details like the source, dimensions, etc. I don't have a lot of depth space on mine.

Here is the specific fireplace we ordered--it has all the dimensions listed: Link.

There are other designs if you want the standard log burning effect or the regular heating element. As noted in another post, I have to modify the trim and the board the fireplace sits on, but I also have to use the end brackets from the old fireplace on the new one so I can screw it into the surrounding frame. Well worth the effort for the increased heating comfort. One other thing, if you order the contemporary design it comes with loose fire glass. It's in a type of tray and can't spill out, but I can see it moving around during travels...it may be something else I will have to modify. I ordered the fireplace on Sunday evening and it was delivered on Wednesday.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Electric Fireplaces Direct is a great source for all things fireplace. Ordered our new Dimplex (for our previous rig) from them.

Chippendale

Found this thread this morning and as one would expect, the old Greystone decided to act up this evening. Everything seems to work OK except it blows cold air. There is no remedy for this in the troubleshooting guide. My guess is that the heating element has died. Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? I am tempted to order one like Rex's and not fool with this one.