Rusty frame

biddo

HI,

I am looking at buying a new Landmark and have found one at a dealer in South Dakota the only problem is the frame, jacks, and entire undercarriage is very rusty. This is an 09 unit but I am concerned that this unit may have been in a lot of water somewhere. Has anyone experienced this type of problem or am I being too picky.

Regards

Mel

cjbearden

Visitor
Find out when the unit was built, how long has it been on the dealer's lot? If it was built in winter months, frame may have been exposed to elements thus causing the rust. Some owners have experience with more rust than others. If rust is not too excessive, the rust areas can be brushed to clean off rust and then resprayed with black spray paint. View this thread:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=5731&highlight=rust

Our new unit has a few rusted bolt heads (i.e., on the entry steps) but DH says nothing excessive on exposed frame.

CJ

Last edited:
Unfortunately the frames do rust...there are a couple of manufacturers that protect their frames with an all weather powder coating that prevents this rust, and looks nice too.

SmokeyBare

The Spray in Lining often used in truck beds is a good solution for the frame. It's tough as can be and can stand up to what ever is tossed at it. Proved to be successful in truck beds for years now.

aatauses

I also had several rust issues on a new BH 3670. The dealer said not to worry as it was built in the winter and they usually have some rust. I ended up changing all the bolts/screws/connectors I could reach and then repainting all the frame with a rust inhibitor and then another coat of black paint
al