5th wheel specifications regarding height

Tweedy

Does anyone know if the RV 'height' as shown in the specifications sheet / brochure includes the roof air unit? In my case the height of our 5th Wheel is shown as 13' 2". OK I know I could climb up on the roof and try to judge the height by eyeball with the help of someone holding a tape measure on the ground but I'm looking for the easy way out. LOL.
:rolleyes:

weekender01

Yes that should be to the highest point on the roof which would be the AC cover. Note however that some brands/models will have 2 different heights listed depending if 1 AC or 2 AC units are installed. 13'2" - 13'3" is the max I typically see.

chiefneon

Howdy!

The brochure always show the height of the RV but you can't depend on it being correct. You need to measure it for yourself to make sure. I ask the dealer to measure our Cyclone when we purchased it they said it was 13'9" the brochure stated 13'3". I measured it and also had it measured at MorRyde and it was 13'4".

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

mlpeloquin

I measured ours. First from the ground up to the edge of the roof and then from the roof to the top of the front AC. 13' 4" total. I installed Air Lift bags for my truck and a Flexair Trail Air hitch. This lifted the front end a bit. Still measured 13' 4" do to the angel of the roof. It did not change the height. I went under a sign that stated 13' 4" clearance. Did not have a choice because by the time you could read it, you were committed. Cleared it. I went very slow! I have now paid for and down loaded into my GPS the RvSafetyFirst height clearance data. I edited all the higher clearances above 13' 6".

Tweedy

It would seem from the feedback that specification heights include roof mounted accessories. However, I will take the advice to measure for myself. Thanks to all. :cool: Happy RVing.

David-and-Cheryl

Any Escapees SmartWeigh location also has a tool to accurately measure your trailer height. It's a pole marked in inches, with a long perpendicular arm mounted at the top. The arm can swing around to cover the entire width of your trailer. So they gradually lower the pole until the arm contacts something (usually an A/C shroud) at the high point of the trailer, and then read the height off the pole. Ours was 13' 3", exactly what Heartland said it should be.

Jim-Duffy

It doesn't seem likely but our 2016 Gateway 3650 BH measures a foot taller than it should. The spec is 13' 2". It's sitting relatively level (less than 1 degree lower toward the rear) and will sit relatively level on our AirRide hitch. I measured from the ground to the top of the roof and got 13'. I climbed onto the roof and the front a/c measures 14". I re-measured from the roof down and again got 13'.

I could be off a couple inches about the hitch height from the ground and the front will likely ride a a few inches lower once the weight is on the hitch, but I can't imagine a whole foot lower! We hook up and head out for the first time on Saturday and I'm very worried about the height. I'm going to re-measure tomorrow and hope I was having hallucinations.

I know it must be less than 13' 6" and I'm hoping for the 13' 2" spec but has anyone heard of this model being that far off?

Bones

It doesn't seem likely but our 2016 Gateway 3650 BH measures a foot taller than it should. The spec is 13' 2". It's sitting relatively level (less than 1 degree lower toward the rear) and will sit relatively level on our AirRide hitch. I measured from the ground to the top of the roof and got 13'. I climbed onto the roof and the front a/c measures 14". I re-measured from the roof down and again got 13'.

I could be off a couple inches about the hitch height from the ground and the front will likely ride a a few inches lower once the weight is on the hitch, but I can't imagine a whole foot lower! We hook up and head out for the first time on Saturday and I'm very worried about the height. I'm going to re-measure tomorrow and hope I was having hallucinations.

I know it must be less than 13' 6" and I'm hoping for the 13' 2" spec but has anyone heard of this model being that far off?

I measured my gateway not too long ago and I got 13' 5". I did it on my driveway however I know there is a chance my drive way might slope a bit from where I measured so I think it is close.

danemayer

It's not meaningful to measure height while the trailer sits on the front landing gear. Take the measurement while hitched up and on level ground. It's also helpful to measure distance from bottom of the frame to ground at front and rear to determine if the trailer is sitting level. A nose-high setup can easily add several inches to the height while hitched.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
How did you take your measurement? Did you use a 2x4 and a four foot level from the top of your AC?

Peace
Dave

Bones

I used an 8 foot level and my digital measurement device from the bottom of the level sitting on-top of the AC and while hooked up to the truck.

porthole

Retired
Trailer on the truck, flat, level parking lot and a self leveling laser on the AC unit and a tape measure to ground.

The 2.5" height of the laser is my cushion for the measurement.

Our trailer measured up to within 1" of specs when new.

For those with the MOR/ryde IS, you should measure again after the install. The IS can change your overall height with the addition of the sub frame. Especially if they built the IS to level your trailer to the truck.
Our height changed a bit, don't recall what, but it was higher.

Jim-Duffy

It's not meaningful to measure height while the trailer sits on the front landing gear. Take the measurement while hitched up and on level ground. It's also helpful to measure distance from bottom of the frame to ground at front and rear to determine if the trailer is sitting level. A nose-high setup can easily add several inches to the height while hitched.

Thanks! Yes, that's the plan. We hook up and head out tomorrow. First thing I do after hooking up is re-measure!

Jim-Duffy

Thanks everyone for the feedback! It's helpful to know how many got close to the specs... makes me feel better. We're camping now and don't have 4' levels, or wood, or laser devices, just a measly tape measure. I will try again after hook up in the morning. It can't possibly be anywhere close to 14'. This is our maiden voyage in this big honker so I'm nervous as ****... about everything! :)

mlpeloquin

Thanks everyone for the feedback! It's helpful to know how many got close to the specs... makes me feel better. We're camping now and don't have 4' levels, or wood, or laser devices, just a measly tape measure. I will try again after hook up in the morning. It can't possibly be anywhere close to 14'. This is our maiden voyage in this big honker so I'm nervous as ****... about everything! :)

Measure from the ground to the highest roof edge. Then from the top of the roof to the peak of the AC unit. Add the two measurements and you have your height.

Jim-Duffy

At Bass Lake, safe and sound. Didn't hit any overpasses. ;) I re-measured after hook-up. Adjusted for the front ground being a little lower than the rear (didn't want to move it just to measure - would have had it been off) and got 12' to the roof, adding the 14" a/c gave us the 13' 2" spec. I was surprised how much height we lost after hook-up and getting off the jacks and also relieved.