Brakes and Wheel Bearings

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Where can I find the specs and/or ordering info for the brake and axle components on my '09 3600RE Bighorn? It has the 7000# axles. No, nothing has failed yet but I do like to be prepared in advance. I keep a close check on brake shoes, magnets, wheel bearings and dust seals when towing a heavy load such as the Bighorn due to the fact that we do a lot of mountain traveling. I like to initially repack wheel bearings after the first 5000 miles with premium bearing grease. (Have put that 5000 miles on since March of this year already) A little time and $10.00 worth of grease is a small price for my own peace of mind and safety. I have seen trailer axle bearings in the past with high heat discoloration due to minimal amounts of bearing grease applied when assembled. As I stated, I am not having any problems yet but only because I preformed a preliminary check on one of my Bighorn axle bearings this past weekend and found that same condition with it and a couple of small discolored heat spots beginning on the outside bearing. Very little grease was present. Since I do not have new inside dust seals as of yet I did not remove the inside bearing to check it. I will be repacking all four bearing assemblies as soon as I can purchase new seals. I like to keep a set of bearings, seals, brake shoes and even a magnet on hand anyway for those unexpected breakdowns that always happen in the middle of nowhere or after everything has closed. It is not wasted money since I know I will use them before to long as part of regular maintenance anyway.

So, if the factory or anyone else can tell me where to obtain brake and bearing parts or part numbers or specs for ordering, I would greatly appreciate it. I love this forum and the help and info everyone shares and Heartland's consistent attempt to provide great customer service. Makes me glad to own my Bighorn.

cjbearden

Visitor
Call HL Customer Service @ 574-262-8030. Have the last six digits of your VIN and ask to speak to your area representative. With the vin #, your file can be accessed to give you more specific information regarding your unit. Good luck and safe travels.