Ford's position on the new oil standard effective 12/01/16

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
It seems to me, from what I have read about it, that Ford changed their own specs to keep us using the motorcraft brand. Shell is working to develop a Rotella formula that we can use but then again Ford still gets the final say if they approve or not.

porthole

Retired
It seems to me, from what I have read about it, that Ford changed their own specs to keep us using the motorcraft brand. Shell is working to develop a Rotella formula that we can use but then again Ford still gets the final say if they approve or not.

Don'tthinkso.Fordsaysthenewspeccomingoutisnotsuitbleforthierproduct,CJ-4,themostcommonoilspecissuitble.

when is the forum going to get fixed?????

Don't think so. Ford says the new spec coming out is not suitable for their product. CJ-4, the most common diesel oil spec is suitable.
Ford does not manufacture motor oil, they buy and rebrand from any number of suppliers.
Shell Rotella has been a CJ-4 oil for years.

At issue seems to be the additives. And I think it has to do with European applications that the oil is changing.

IronJ

Jeeze...always making thi.ngs more complicated...and giving ford another "warranty out" for something... meh...ill just keep runking rotella t6.....but im sure they will change it somehow ..its already cj-4 /ci-4...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

porthole

Retired
Jeeze...always making thi.ngs more complicated...and giving ford another "warranty out" for something... meh...ill just keep runking rotella t6.....but im sure they will change it somehow ..its already cj-4 /ci-4...

Some
oils are still CJ-4 and are being changed to the new standard, including the Rotellas.

So, when you buy your oil, just look for the CJ-4 with no C-K standard in the circle.

IronJ

The rotella site lists the t6 as ck,cj and ci already?..

Seems like cj is better than ck so all cj/ci should meet ck??.. beats me?

36089cd70d1a2851170f44d46552ba7a.jpg

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

alexb2000

All my Diesel engines get Rotella T6 and OEM filters and will going forward. IMO OEM's like Ford that speced dino oil to keep customer maintenance cost complaints down shot themselves in the foot with the complexity of modern diesels. Seems they still haven't learned.

Jim.Allison

Don'tthinkso.Fordsaysthenewspeccomingoutisnotsuitbleforthierproduct,CJ-4,themostcommonoilspecissuitble.

when is the forum going to get fixed?????

Don't think so. Ford says the new spec coming out is not suitable for their product.

That is not what they said, what they said was that they observed abnormal engine wear with some of the CK oils they tested.

It seemed more like an add to keep people buying MotorCraft oil. But since MotorCraft does not make their own oil, I'm sure there will be plenty of good back serviceable oil on hand for us diesel drivers. This is not a thing........

porthole

Retired
Don't think so. Ford says the new spec coming out is not suitable for their product.

That is not what they said, what they said was that they observed abnormal engine wear with some of the CK oils they tested.

Maybe give another listen.

At :25 and 1:55

Sure sounds like "what not use" has the same meaning, at least to my tinnitus impaired, Federal Q reduced hearing plainly heard.