Backup Camera - suggestions?

AbbyAbbo

Hi everyone,

We just purchased our 2nd RV (this time a Cyclone) and we are very excited to get it on the road. Our first RV was a motorhome so it's a bit different in the handling and driving. We want to put a camera on the back to see what is going on back there while we are driving. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

franks1

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
Re: Camera

I put the Furion rear view camera on the back of my Landmark.I wired it into my running lights,it works great and the picture is good.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Just installed our Furrion this weekend, will try it out next weekend. There are two, be sure to get the high-speed observation and backup use:

FOS48TAPK-BL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

For those that are considering a camera for watching what is behind you, the Furrion camera is great! Extremely helpful for seeing to change lanes, merging traffic, and seeing what's directly behind you, backing or driving! Would not be without it, now!

'Lil Guy'

Like Erika posted, get the Furrion high speed version. So great for seeing the rear and lane changing.

jhardin

For those that are considering a camera for watching what is behind you, the Furrion camera is great! Extremely helpful for seeing to change lanes, merging traffic, and seeing what's directly behind you, backing or driving! Would not be without it, now!

Do you have or can you show a pic of the camera on the back of your camper? How did you i stall it ? Is a wire showing?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Camera

Our trailer came with the mount and was prewired for it. Others have installed and tapped into the rear running lights.

Not a great pic but here is ours. (We also upgraded the antenna (that's what is sticking up from it - its taller then the rear cap), but we didn't try it without the upgrade, so don't know if this is necessary.)

8724e587d4d0bfc7800490490140b91a.jpg

franks1

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders

I had the camera wired into my running lights so it is not on all the time.I always have my lights on when I pull the 5th wheel. I have the antenna that came with the camera and have no problems with it.

Nuclearcowboy

Our trailer came with the mount and was prewired for it. Others have installed and tapped into the rear running lights.

Not a great pic but here is ours. (We also upgraded the antenna (that's what is sticking up from it - its taller then the rear cap), but we didn't try it without the upgrade, so don't know if this is necessary.)

8724e587d4d0bfc7800490490140b91a.jpg

We intend to get this unit also. Have a 2017 BH 3970RD that is pre-wired. So should be a breeze to install. I just hope the signal strength is strong enough for my trailer length.

SNOKING

We have the fast version and it is powered from the non door side sconce light on rear wall. I can drive 800-1000 feet away before loosing signal. I installed a switch in the sconce base to turn it off while parked. Chris

travis_g

Camera

I was thinking of putting a go pro on the back. Even a suction cup mount just when I go to back up. I think the Wi-Fi range would be good and the picture higher quality. In fact a drone in follow me mode would be cool too.

TravelTiger

e6362fdc4417b5a8ed1c9cac9cded327.jpg

The great thing about the Furrion camera is the colored bars on the monitor. These really help when you Are trying to judge how close you are to things behind you. The wide angle view is also extremely helpful. As you can see in the pic a car is passing. Sometimes, cars come up to the yellow section before moving over. In the yellow and red sections, you cannot see that vehicle in your side mirrors.

TravelTiger

We intend to get this unit also. Have a 2017 BH 3970RD that is pre-wired. So should be a breeze to install. I just hope the signal strength is strong enough for my trailer length.

Here is the upgraded antenna, which was mentioned on this forum by another member. The connection has worked extremely well, signal has dropped out maybe 1-2 seconds, less than 10 times over 1500 miles. Mainly during night driving. Angling the monitor antenna as shown in pic helped.

(Note this is in truck cab along with RV GPS, tire pressure monitor system, two cell phones in-dash GPS and XM radio.)

Alfa 9dBi WiFi Booster SMA OMNI-Directional High-Gain Screw-On Swivel Antenna for D-Link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MUU6L4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6MEAybKHHGVB2

TravelTiger

Camera

do you have power all the time or do you need lights on.

If your coach came prewired, it is powered all the time. You can rewire to the nearby running lights, as others have done, or if a fresh install wire it as you wish.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you how.

We used the existing wiring on our coach. It's powered all the time, so there is a blue light on the camera that is lit.

One advantage would be if you had a DC plug inside the coach, you could view your monitor/camera from inside the coach while parked. Since we often park our truck behind the rig and don't have a rear window, this might help deter someone from messing with our truck, thinking it's a security camera.