RV park power outage. Disconnect??

TxRoadWarrior362

Power just went out at the park. Should I turn off the 50amp breaker at the pedestal, or can I just wait for power to be restored and stay plugged in?

thanks,
Tim

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
If you have a surge protector you can take your chances, but I would turn off the 50 amp breaker at the pedestal to avoid any possible surges.

Rod

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

happykraut

I would kill the AC and any other appliances in your rig, then shut off the pedestal. When power comes back on, power up the pedestal and then your appliances one at a time.

SNOKING

I good surge protector like the PI looks at the power before closing the relay to send power back into the trailer. That is what you pay 300+ bucks for. If the power is not right when it comes on, then the unit will not allow power in. If you were away from the trailer no one would switch the power off, and you would want the power to come back on automagically.

Chris

danemayer

In general, you can just wait for power to be restored. The EMS will protect you from startup issues because it delays passing power to the RV for about 2 minutes.

If you have generator prep, your power also goes through an automatic transfer switch. Some of us, as a best practice, turn off the main circuit breakers inside the coach so there's no load on the automatic transfer switch when power is applied (or in this case restored). Same approach when disconnecting shore power.

Our belief is that if there's a significant load when power is applied to the transfer switch, there is likely to be arcing at the transfer switch contacts. Repeated arcing may lead to a transfer switch failure. While this may take a while - perhaps even a few years - it's very inconvenient to have a transfer switch failure.

We had a transfer switch fail during the winter, at 5 PM on a Saturday. Temps were at 10 (F) headed below zero. Took 5 days to get power fully restored. After that experience, I don't mind flipping the circuit breakers as a preventative measure. Is it worth the extra effort? Hard to know. But I can tell you that I would be very pleased to never have another transfer switch failure.

If you don't have generator prep, you don't have a transfer switch and I wouldn't worry about it.

TxRoadWarrior362

Thanks for the education. Great information, and I really appreciate the responses.

I have the generator, and will follow the advise with the breaker.

Thank you,
Tim

- - - Updated - - -

Btw. Power back on.

Attachments

• IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 41