Factory Ford 6.7 engine brake

Apologizes if this has been addressed already. I searched for the subject and found nothing.

To the guys here who have the Ford 6.7 how is the factory engine brake? It's my understanding that to engage it you need to be in tow/haul and simply depress the brake, perhaps with a bit of force. I have tried to see if I could get it to engage running bobtail and it's hard to tell. I use the one in my work truck all the time (provided conditions are not slippery) and I love it. Part of the reason I went diesel over gas was for the engine brake. BD Diesel has an aftermarket one that does something to the veins in the turbo but I don't want to drop the coin on it if the factory one is satisfactory. Let me know. Thank you

crors7

My 16' has a button to turn on the exhaust brake, it engages at or above 1500 rpm ,does not matter if in tow/haul or not.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

MCTalley

The 2015 and newer trucks use the variable vanes in the turbo for engine braking. The older trucks have a much less effective method of essentially using natural engine compression from what I understand.

We had a 2013 (older method) and now have a 2016 (newer method) and it is a definite difference. The newer one is pretty effective without having to race the engine at high RPMs.

My 16' has a button to turn on the exhaust brake, it engages at or above 1500 rpm ,does not matter if in tow/haul or not.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yeah there's no button or knob anywhere on the truck. The only reason I know the factory one exhausts on the older 6.7's is cause a guy at work who knows a lot about all things Ford told me about it.

- - - Updated - - -

The 2015 and newer trucks use the variable vanes in the turbo for engine braking. The older trucks have a much less effective method of essentially using natural engine compression from what I understand.

We had a 2013 (older method) and now have a 2016 (newer method) and it is a definite difference. The newer one is pretty effective without having to race the engine at high RPMs.

That was kind of the answer I expected. Thank you. I'll most likely get the aftermarket add on

Oregon_Camper

Having towed up/down the mountains here in Oregon, I can tell you first hand the engine braking is fantastic. I can come down HUGE mountain passes and hardly ever have to apply the brakes.

My wife once said she thought the truck was making a weird noise...I said.... "Nope, that's just the brakes singing Hallelujah". She just rolled her eyes, but I thought it was hilarious.!! :)

Having towed up/down the mountains here in Oregon, I can tell you first hand the engine braking is fantastic. I can come down HUGE mountain passes and hardly ever have to apply the brakes.

My wife once said she thought the truck was making a weird noise...I said.... "Nope, that's just the brakes singing Hallelujah". She just rolled her eyes, but I thought it was hilarious.!! :)

Yeah I'm your neighbor to the north in western Washington. What year is your truck and are you speaking of the factory or aftermarket brake?

Mrsfish

2 entirely different animals being discussed. Tow/haul Is more like transmission assist..exhaust brake (diesel braking- turbo braking)has a separate button to engage.. known in the BIG rig world as a jake brake. Exhaust brakes only appeared in Fords in 2014..tow/haul has existed for a long while.

and that's all I know and I'm out of here!

asherwin

Tow/Haul mode in my 2011 F350 6.7 works great. Have pulled the 5er up and down hills large and small between here and Arizona with no issues or effort.

IronJ

From 11/current the braking is all the same its controlled by the turbo vanes/back pressure...

It does work well but its not like a traditional exhaust/jake brake..

It does nothing much at low rpm but will coast my 20k trailer down a 8% grade no problem...the cavet is that the engines needs a lot of rpm to build back pressure..3000rpm is where strongest braking is.

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Oregon_Camper

Yeah I'm your neighbor to the north in western Washington. What year is your truck and are you speaking of the factory or aftermarket brake?

Truck is a 2016 F-350 DRW. had to fly to Texas to get what I wanted....hard to find DRW in Ruby Red around here. Got a GREAT deal...even less than I could have bought it here by ordering direct from factory.

I am using all factory installed equipment...nothing after market for the brakes.

TedS

I have the 2011 F350 and have mentioned, complained to the dealer that the exhaust brake does not seem to work. They found ' nothing wrong' and read back to me how the exhaust brake is supposed to work. I have found with my truck that I have to be up at least 3000 rpm for any retarding effort. Double tap the brakes, be in tow/haul, still have to brake downhill or downshift to increase rpm. I have come to accept the 2011 exhaust brake is no better than old compression breaking. Newer models seem to be better, more effective for real.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have the 2011 F350 and have mentioned, complained to the dealer that the exhaust brake does not seem to work. They found ' nothing wrong' and read back to me how the exhaust brake is supposed to work. I have found with my truck that I have to be up at least 3000 rpm for any retarding effort. Double tap the brakes, be in tow/haul, still have to brake downhill or downshift to increase rpm. I have come to accept the 2011 exhaust brake is no better than old compression breaking. Newer models seem to be better, more effective for real.

FYI: The 2017 Ford has 2 settings, push the button once and it comes on when you step on the brakes and start the process. "Tow haul or not" I think :/
Push it again for auto mode and you can set the speed you want it to hold you at by stepping on the brake at the speed you wish to travel. Not sure how it works I haven't got to try it out yet.
Also on cruse control It will operate the trans the brakes and the exhaust brake all to maintain the set speed. The Adaptive Cruse Control is unreal !!!!! It completely drives the truck for you. You just have to steer the steering wheel.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I've been in heavy traffic and it will completely pace the traffic all the way down to about 10 MPH and all the way up to the set speed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sounds like RPM's are the key to any of these brakes working. I don't recall the engine speed when I tried mine but I seriously doubt it was anywhere near 3000. Guess I'll have to try the factory one out more on my 2011 before I spend $600 on the BD one. The chart I saw from the BD brake showed no significant braking till about 3000RPM's. Guess I was hoping it was gonna be like my 2005 International work truck where it brakes well at any engine speed. That engine red lines below 3000RPM's though and the brake finally kicks itself off at about 900RPM's. Thanks for all the feedback folks.

porthole

Retired
Apologizes if this has been addressed already. I searched for the subject and found nothing.

Somewhere on the forum I posted a lot of info on how the turbo braking works, search under my screen name.

To the guys here who have the Ford 6.7 how is the factory engine brake? It's my understanding that to engage it you need to be in tow/haul and simply depress the brake, perhaps with a bit of force. I have tried to see if I could get it to engage running bobtail and it's hard to tell. I use the one in my work truck all the time (provided conditions are not slippery) and I love it. Part of the reason I went diesel over gas was for the engine brake. BD Diesel has an aftermarket one that does something to the veins in the turbo but I don't want to drop the coin on it if the factory one is satisfactory. Let me know. Thank you

Sounds like RPM's are the key to any of these brakes working. I don't recall the engine speed when I tried mine but I seriously doubt it was anywhere near 3000. Guess I'll have to try the factory one out more on my 2011 before I spend $600 on the BD one. The chart I saw from the BD brake showed no significant braking till about 3000RPM's. Guess I was hoping it was gonna be like my 2005 International work truck where it brakes well at any engine speed. That engine red lines below 3000RPM's though and the brake finally kicks itself off at about 900RPM's. Thanks for all the feedback folks.

First off, your 2011 does not have assisted engine braking or whatever it may be called.
All you have is the inherent engine braking which is minimal due to being a diesel. This is aided somewhat by using the tow haul mode which raises shifts points and lock up the converter sooner and in more gears.

Cummins use to have an exhaust brake, but switched to the turbo assisted braking that is in use by all three now.
First to have it from the factory was GM on the D'max, but that was not until after Banks came out with the the first add on turbo brake upgrade. Ford added the turbo brake on the 2015's. Prior to 2015 the 6.7 had a smaller diameter "single sequential turbine". The design made it susceptible to over-speeding, so no turbo brake option.

The smaller turbine also choked a bit at elevations over 10,000 feet, which by coincidence, is why the Ford-Ram-GM shootouts where always done buy the competition over - 10,000 feet.
It does work well much closer to sea level, which works for me since we live a couple miles from the ocean.

2015 saw the original SST turbo get replaced with a much bigger turbo. Bigger turbo means more airflow and less turbine speed, so we get an effective turbo brake.

BD turbo brake.
BTDT GTTS

BD first announced the brake in 2013. It was supposed to come out in early 2014 IIRC, it was delayed over a year. When it finally came out I got one of the first kits around here. In the instructions there is a disclaimer that the kit may throw engine codes and is not as effective as it could be if the vehicle is still equipped with the EGR system.

I had nothing but problems, the most serious being the truck would go in limp in mode at the most inopportune times. The parts were changed out several times by BD and after multiple conversations with the engineers (including the original design team at an Xtreme Diesel event) I removed the kit.

I sold it to another Ford DRW owner, who also happens to be a site member here. He planned on deleting his truck so wasn't concerned with the giving it a try.

Banks was the first to manipulate the turbo with an add on kit for the D'max, I'm guessing there is a good reason why they did not adapt it to the Ford 6.7

I would say, be comfortable with what you have, or buy a new truck.

Somewhere on the forum I posted a lot of info on how the turbo braking works, search under my screen name.

First off, your 2011 does not have assisted engine braking or whatever it may be called.
All you have is the inherent engine braking which is minimal due to being a diesel. This is aided somewhat by using the tow haul mode which raises shifts points and lock up the converter sooner and in more gears.

Cummins use to have an exhaust brake, but switched to the turbo assisted braking that is in use by all three now.
First to have it from the factory was GM on the D'max, but that was not until after Banks came out with the the first add on turbo brake upgrade. Ford added the turbo brake on the 2015's. Prior to 2015 the 6.7 had a smaller diameter "single sequential turbine". The design made it susceptible to over-speeding, so no turbo brake option.

The smaller turbine also choked a bit at elevations over 10,000 feet, which by coincidence, is why the Ford-Ram-GM shootouts where always done buy the competition over - 10,000 feet.
It does work well much closer to sea level, which works for me since we live a couple miles from the ocean.

2015 saw the original SST turbo get replaced with a much bigger turbo. Bigger turbo means more airflow and less turbine speed, so we get an effective turbo brake.

BD turbo brake.
BTDT GTTS

BD first announced the brake in 2013. It was supposed to come out in early 2014 IIRC, it was delayed over a year. When it finally came out I got one of the first kits around here. In the instructions there is a disclaimer that the kit may throw engine codes and is not as effective as it could be if the vehicle is still equipped with the EGR system.

I had nothing but problems, the most serious being the truck would go in limp in mode at the most inopportune times. The parts were changed out several times by BD and after multiple conversations with the engineers (including the original design team at an Xtreme Diesel event) I removed the kit.

I sold it to another Ford DRW owner, who also happens to be a site member here. He planned on deleting his truck so wasn't concerned with the giving it a try.

Banks was the first to manipulate the turbo with an add on kit for the D'max, I'm guessing there is a good reason why they did not adapt it to the Ford 6.7

Excellent reply and thank you for taking the time to do so. I'll stick with what I have then. I just bought the truck a month ago so getting a new one really isn't an option. Not unless I want to get divorced. The truck is not a daily driver. It's mainly just there to pull the TT and the wife wasn't real thrilled when I told her what it cost 🙈

IronJ

BD turbo brake.
BTDT GTTS

All good info !! The ford sst is still a variable vane triple wheel design..so there is in fact a turbo effect braking while in tow haul (minimal as it may be)

Per ford

External picture of the Power Stroke's new SST turbocharger.

The SST turbo continues to use variable vanes that surround the turbine wheel to dynamically adjust turbo speed using exhaust gases. During engine operation at low speeds and load, the vanes are closed to accelerate exhaust gases across the turbine wheel to help increase turbo wheel speed quickly. At high speeds the vanes are opened to help prevent the turbo overspeed. It's also been enhanced to introduce exhaust braking into the platform.

“You’ll get the feeling [when you’re driving in] tow/haul mode but it won’t explicitly be called exhaust braking. It’s built into the system,” Gryglak said.

I have the bd on my 12...it works SOMETIMES......after a while of use i dont think its worth it

Now that i am deleted and have CUSTOM tunes by kory willis the exhaust brake is phenominal!! And he tuned the vanes open on cold idle so it would not sound like a jet on the runway...lol

porthole

Retired
“You’ll get the feeling [when you’re driving in] tow/haul mode but it won’t explicitly be called exhaust braking. It’s built into the system,” Gryglak said.

That article came out about a year before the 6.7 hit the streets.

Here is something that came out after several real world use years.

This is because Ford feared overspeeding the GT32 SST charger. Overspeeding occurs when the turbo’s shaft speed becomes too excessive. ..........So in an effort to keep the turbo alive, Ford had to sacrifice exhaust braking ability on ’11 to ’14 trucks.

IronJ

I think that was from a truck trend article and its "somewhat" accurate...ford did SACRIFICE some exhaust braking but didnt eliminate it all together....

Hence why bd product came out...it operated the vanes more aggrssivley..

If you had ability to read pid on the truck with a cts insight or even a blutooth obd adapter and the free app you could watch the ebp and turbo work while towing...

But yes ford hacked the capability to avoid frying the ceramic bearing at 120000 rpm...lol...

No exahust brake , a somewhat crappy exhaust brake...its really just semantics....they need to put a REAL brake on there with the towing cap these thngs have...lol