Thought's or options. Nissan NPV

Mattman

So with the kids and the camper, my thoughts have turned to possibly ditching the 02 excursion, and my 09 Yukon XL for a Nissan NPV. I looked at the ratings and did the calculations. Looks like it will tow what my Excursion does. I have some friends who purchased one. I parked my excursion next to it and it made it look small. My Yukon burns oil. Only has 72k on it. My excursion is pushing 200k. The NPV has no 4x4. Not an issue for camping. Just curious if any one else has experience with a Nissan product or the NPV.
Thanks

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Myself, I wouldn't do it.

Go for a real truck with stopping power!

I had that white-knuckle stop 5 inches from the back of another trailer on a wet winding road coming around a blind curve . . .

That was all it took for me to get a real truck!

And I was pulling our previous Heartland Trail Runner bumper-pull with a Dodge Ram 1500.

MP_CS

As far as the nissan product, no question would i buy again. Me and wifey have had quite a few over the years and never any problems with a one. The np series are based off of the titan pickup. I'm sure they are a competent towing vehicle in there weight class. I know the titan truck i had was great and my brothers had 200k plus very hatd miles on it and he traded it in on another. Wether or not it will tow you're camper will be based on its tow ratings and your trailer, but as far as buying nissan or not I wouldn't hesitate if thats the route you wanna go.

MP_CS

We have a 2012 Nissan Altima Coupe with the 3.5 litre hot rod motor with dual exhause.

It is an awesome hot rod!

believe it or not my wifes last murano with that same engine was like a rocket also. I have had nothing but good luck with the nissans ive had over the years. My current daily driver is an 08 xterra with 140k and have done nothing other than r gular maint.

Mattman

Myself, I wouldn't do it.

Go for a real truck with stopping power!

I had that white-knuckle stop 5 inches from the back of another trailer on a wet winding road coming around a blind curve . . .

That was all it took for me to get a real truck!

And I was pulling our previous Heartland Trail Runner bumper-pull with a Dodge Ram 1500.

Hey John, I meant the NPV made my Ex look small. Not my EX made it look small. That NPV has the GCWR as my excursion @ 16000 lbs. It's a beast. After I read my message again I wasent sure if you knew which one was smaller. The NPV is the only newer vehicle I can find with on a 3/4 - 1 ton frame. There are a few 3/4 suburbans. But that 6.0 isn't anything special. It's still the same interior as what I got. The back seat is between the wheel wells. What I really want is this: http://www.customautosbytim.com/16.html
But I am not dropping 60k on a 2004 rig.

My point was that NPV will handel the stopping the same as a truck. If I need 4x4 with my camper where I am at, I probably shouldn't be there. Lol

Mattman

Hey John, do you think I would have a hard time navigating camp grounds with with a TT hooked to that thing? They got a truck for sale as well. The truck I could switch to a 5er and gain some mobility. But now I am in 100k on trailer and truck. Maybe if we were full timing. I don't think the wife will let me do that. I do like that Excursion. Not sure if I can Get it in my garage. I think I got the lenght. Not sure about the height. Looks like about a 3"lift on it. Mine just gets in it now if I wanted to.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It may have the capacity, it I'd be concerned about the wheelbase vs trailer length. Would be very easy for a 30' trailer to wag the dog on that van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk