Battery Project #1

MallardHead

Next up change out box to a larger box and install a battery disconnect switch for our Mallard M32
e3671c574489feca17df2835ad63acd8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Skywrench

Full Timer
A battery disconnect a 'must have'. Keep us updated on what you come up with. Good luck on your project.

MallardHead

Battery box switched out to a larger box which will make the disconnect switch easier to mount.

894f5f5e071adc7e16cf046c161a825f.jpg

47b4aa61d6f1d8ac29b9c2528e5b16de.jpg

Steve.Twoknee

Looking forward to seeing the finished product! Do you have any plans of adding another battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve.Twoknee

Not at this time , we don't do a lot of dry camping but not ruling it out

Neither do we (do a lot of dry camping), in fact the only time we really just rely on battery power is when we tailgate with our Duck. Even then I usually rent (or borrow) a small Honda generator so we can turn the tv on for other football games. That and I seem to have an irrational fear of not being able to bring the slides in! I have yet to instal a battery shut off, but perhaps that would help calm my fears! What is your plan with the shut off, meaning when do you see yourself 'cutting off' the battery?

MallardHead

Neither do we (do a lot of dry camping), in fact the only time we really just rely on battery power is when we tailgate with our Duck. Even then I usually rent (or borrow) a small Honda generator so we can turn the tv on for other football games. That and I seem to have an irrational fear of not being able to bring the slides in! I have yet to instal a battery shut off, but perhaps that would help calm my fears! What is your plan with the shut off, meaning when do you see yourself 'cutting off' the battery?

Ah, tailgating that sounds fun.... what team or school??? The plan for a shut off switch for me is a quick way to turn off the battery during downtime, such as between trips and during the off season (Late Nov-Feb)... Since there are some items that continue to draw from the 12v continous.... Come home disconnect from TV, unload and shut off the battery... Time to go camping turn the battery on and hook up and go....

Steve.Twoknee

We tailgate for the University of Northern Iowa, the Panthers. Goofy fun.
I've been thinking about the shut off, but when in storage (now) I pull the battery and put it on a trickle charger so there is no need at that point for a shut off.

MallardHead

We actually just got our M32 a few weeks ago so still loading and buying stuff since we had a popup, how have you liked yours

Steve.Twoknee

We actually just got our M32 a few weeks ago so still loading and buying stuff since we had a popup, how have you liked yours

It is our 5th camper, 6th if you count my 64 VW camper van and it has exceeded expectations. The M32 was a downsizing for us as the kids (one in college, the other a jr in HS) don't always join us.
The camper pulls great! This is the first TT I've had with two doors and as silly as that is I'm not sure why that wasn't a requirement on past campers; it is fantastic. The outside kitchen has been fun as well. Everything has worked and worked well. Our mighty duck has just been fun.

MallardHead

This is our 4th, we did it in reverse...we started with a flagstaff shamrock hybrid...hated it but they have come along way... then upgraded to a 27 foot bunkhouse and loved it then God surprised us with another child and never went camping so sold it.... then our youngest had open heart surgery in 2012 and we got cabin fever during recovery so we went tent camping in the dead of summer and wife got the bug so I bought us a 1994 Coleman popup that was an hydraulic lift for the roof and that broke on the first trip so it sat then in sold it and bought a 2012 jayco popup and we loved it but it was just to much work so when I retired in october we decided to upgrade because i our youngest loves camping and is only 8 so we have her camping for a bit longer ....our oldest is a sophomore in college (see why i said God surprised us)... so far my only gripe on the 2017 is the only plug in kitchen area is on the side ...would love to put one under Cabinet but that's a project...lol

Steve.Twoknee

Outlets; you have a solid point. I've been in many campers with even less thought given to them, but that isn't the point! Adding one in under the above the sink cabinet will be an early spring project.

MallardHead

Got the disconnect switch today in mail from Amazon...picked up a needed cable from Advance Auto and had it installed in less than 10 mins....very simple $15 project.. will add some screws to secure it more and some silicone to prevent leak but it works great ....

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32

MallardHead

Got the disconnect switch today in mail from Amazon...picked up a needed cable from Advance Auto and had it installed in less than 10 mins....very simple $15 project.. will add some screws to secure it more and some silicone to prevent leak but it works great ....

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32
9289483ceef2c1160592d393528cf8ba.jpg
55b27856d2b97792ab005291326c8e9d.jpg

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32

PeterS

Hi Guys/Gals,

We did the same to our M32...in this copy of my post are the links to the battery box and disconnect we used. Both from Amazon, both inexpensive and highly reviewed. No extra materials needed.

I added a battery disconnect as well on our M32. I chose a larger battery box http://a.co/1iD5i46 and mounted this version http://a.co/dn0mWRn inside with contact grease. Keeps it nicely out of the elements and I no longer need to used the tie rope around the battery box. Both clips hold the cover firmly in place.

I'm definitely doing this as our first trailer upgrade. I'm famous for boiling over my trailers batteries because we leave our camper plugged in all summer at Island Park, ID. Technically where we plug in I really only need to have the batteries as a back up in case of power failure. Thanks for the ideas!