Lock on power cord reel door

David-and-Cheryl

Does anyone know why there is a lock on the door to the power cord reel compartment on the Landmarks?

I find this terribly inconvenient every time I'm setting up at a new campsite or putting the cord away. It's the only task for which I have to have my keys handy.

Has anyone replaced this lock with a simple quarter-turn latch, like the one on the adjacent switch access door? Where would you get one of these?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I recall a discussion on this a bunch of years back. It has been done.
Here is a link to an Ebay sale of the style latch you will be looking for. [LINK]
I don't know if the latch is available as a stand alone or if you have to buy the entire door assembly and take out the latch.

Peace
Dave

Oregon_Camper

As to "why" the door is locked? It seems to just be a deterrent for bad guys. You can still access the power cord from below the trailer if someone really wanted to.

You could just swap out the key lock for a combo lock. I've done this mod to on all of my prior RV's...love being able to just walk up and unlock door.

Capture333.JPG

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I removed the keyed lock and replaced it with the 1/4 turn lock.
Camping world has them as should any RV dealer's store.
Locked or not it's far from a secure compartment what with it's flimsy plastic door and hinge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mburtsvt

At the end of the day it's worth about $12.00 at a scrap dealer. Don't ask me how I know. Several "in storage" units were hit a few years ago when I was in California.. I agree, the system is a little flimsy. At best it's a marginal deterrent.

David-and-Cheryl

Thanks everyone. I found a lock on Amazon that looks like the one that Oregon_Camper suggested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W7DBWA/

I assume that if you leave the combination set to the opening code, all you have to do is turn the knob. But if and when you do want to lock it (like if the RV is in storage or unattended for a while), you can do so. Sounds like a perfect solution.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That lock shows that it is for a 1-1/8 inch door. Will it work on the thin plastic door?

Peace
Dave

David-and-Cheryl

It comes in various cylinder lengths. I'll have to measure the one that's on there now to see.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
That lock shows that it is for a 1-1/8 inch door. Will it work on the thin plastic door?

Peace
Dave

4 sizes available

Select Size
0 5/8
$12.67
In Stock.
0 7/8
$16.40
In Stock.
1 1/8
$11.72
In Stock.
1 3/8
$17.05
In Stock.

CarterKraft

The only issue I have had is when you only have 1/4 turn locks I have had them come open while traveling. For that reason I am going to at least keep one lock on the door. I do want to get the combo locks though, that would be awesome I think.