2017 Pioneer BH270 Surprises

JJAUSTIN

My wife and I just bought a brand new BH270, replacing a 2006 Keystone Springdale 260. We really like the layout of the BH270 and hope to get a few years use out of it. We spent almost 4 hours yesterday starting to clean up things that in our opinion should have never left the build floor and definitely should have never left the dealership. There was metal shavings throughout the camper, sawdust, splintered boards, pieces of outside tin, long staples sticking out of boards and unused screws laying everywhere. The mattress in the bedroom and both bunks had sawdust and metal shavings all over them. This was just the beginning of our efforts to get it ready to use come springtime. We are very apprehensive now as to what else we will find considering these simple cleanup, quality check, pre-delivery items were so bad.

danemayer

Re: 2017 BH270 Surprises

Hi JJAUSTIN,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Sorry to hear about your experience. If this was all stuff left inside the trailer, it sounds like both the factory and the dealer didn't finish the job.

Since you didn't notice this before signing the paperwork, I'm guessing maybe you didn't get a walk through at the dealership. If you have any questions about how things work, feel free to ask. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Btw, the factory usually winterizes trailers before they ship. But there's no telling what's happened at the dealership. If you didn't check out the plumbing before buying, you should make sure you check the status of all the plumbing fixtures and tanks before storing the unit and winterize if necessary.

JJAUSTIN

Thanks danemayer. We did receive a thorough (well a 2 hour) walk-thru at the dealership, showing how all major things work. They put 20 gallons of water in the fresh water tank and we were able to make sure the pumps worked, etc. We found and pointed out some noticeable trim items that the dealership fixed. However, we were not able to see all this other stuff until we had the time to do a detailed "get to know the camper" day. The awning lights did not work at the walk-thru so they replaced a switch then. We bought the unit one Saturday and scheduled to pick it up the next Friday so they had a week to prepare. But we could tell they did nothing until the Friday morning we showed up to pick it up. Our unit was not winterized and we requested them to not winterize it as we store it in a large climate controlled storage facility which is a good thing as the wind chill is -4 here in northern Arkansas this morning.

jimtoo

Hi JJAustin,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Oregon_Camper

....... But we could tell they did nothing until the Friday morning we showed up to pick it up.

You might want to download my Pre Delivery Document (link in my signature below) and still complete this. From what you're saying, I'm guessing you will find a lot more issues that need to be resolved by the dealership.

@JJAUSTIN - This is really good info. My wife I just bought a 2018 one and we pick it up tomorrow. Anything that you ran across that you think should be looked at would be great. We have the inspection checklist and I have gone through it a couple times now and marked NA to the items that won't apply to us. We are concerned about the towing but the dealership said my Tundra can tow it. But we are really close to the max weight. Like 800 pounds off. I know I am going to need to make some upgrades to the suspension.

IF anyone has any pointers they would be greatly appreciated. We have tent camped for the past 6 years and we tried camper camping twice, once in Alaska and again in Michigan. What a difference and we were sold. Just a little apprehensive about the whole thing.

Thnanks
John

Dubq

We just picked up our 2018 bh270 also. I did a walk thru with the dealer but I just ended up having enough of the b.s. i was told. The finishing in these isn't great. We also had sawdust on the beds and yesterday I went out to our storage to put more stuff in and found 5 or 6 screws from under the couch. Not sure what these are for. As for the finishing that was done I am a handy man so I can make it look good but I shouldn't have to. We were missing the light remote and the dealer has no idea what I'm talking about.

dave10a

I am touring various RV Mfg's factorys to determine my next purchase based on how well the trailer is engineered and manufactured. Unfortunately, very few mfg's sell directly from the factory, so one is forced to buy thru a dealer. In either event, a PDI is extremely important, because it is generally a big hassle to bring the trailer back to a dealer for repairs and warranty work. When I choose the appropriate dealer, I will make certain that the deal is predicated on a successful and detail oriented PDI and any issues will be corrected before settlement of the purchase. Otherwise I will simply walk away and find another dealer.

Simsbud

Ours was a complete mess spent a weekend cleaning it up, haven’t got to use it yet and already had it back to the dealer as they forgot to cut the fridge vent out of he roof so the fridge wouldn’t cool

sengli

The construction mess left, isnt just anything new. Honestly the dealer should have cleaned the obvious stuff up. Every time we get to our destination, we have saw dust and foam show up still after 5 years. If you pull down the basement walls, you will be amazed at all the extra screws you will have for later! I actually have a small bag with all the screws I have found, and it has come in handy for a repair or two to have the fasteners on hand.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My 2015 Prowler P292 5'ver is three years and four days old...and I still get a little sawdust out of the ceiling AC vents and lights.

Not much...but generally after hitting a big bump in the road!

Hi guys.
New member here. Had out 2018 BH270 about a year. Just found this forum. Our dealer did about a 20 "this is how things work" brief. Had all the sawdust and metal shavings everywhere

Simsbud

Used mine one time so far and he led light bar in the awning is dead and shorts out the lights inside, pops a fuse every time I try to turn it on, never even got to use it. What a shame

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
@JJAUSTIN - This is really good info. My wife I just bought a 2018 one and we pick it up tomorrow. Anything that you ran across that you think should be looked at would be great. We have the inspection checklist and I have gone through it a couple times now and marked NA to the items that won't apply to us. We are concerned about the towing but the dealership said my Tundra can tow it. But we are really close to the max weight. Like 800 pounds off. I know I am going to need to make some upgrades to the suspension.

IF anyone has any pointers they would be greatly appreciated. We have tent camped for the past 6 years and we tried camper camping twice, once in Alaska and again in Michigan. What a difference and we were sold. Just a little apprehensive about the whole thing.

Thnanks
John

Don't trust the dealer, are they say you can tow it dry, or fully loaded to the max GVWR of the trailer?

You need to do the math before you take possession. Only you are responsible for your safe towing.

Www.fifthwheelst.com has some great info and a towing calculator for fifth wheels and bumper pulls.

You must do the proper research and math to find out if your tow vehicle can safely handle the rig you're going to buy. Suspension upgrades will not make it legally safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk