Frustrated with Winter living in 2017 Pioneer RL250

Nurseotter

Hello all....
I'm feeling very frustrated right now wondering if I've made a mistake investing my life and money in a 2017 Pioneer RL250.... We are now full-time and my first assignment is in Sioux City, Iowa. We thought we did everything right, skirting, heated water hose, large 100# propane tank... but we are finding things not working. Now we have no water. The water pump is not working, water is not flowing in from the heated hose. Also, had called the Camping World tech line about our electric water heater not working and he told us we would have to bring it in for repair. Well today I discovered that the reason it wasn't working is because it wasn't plugged in. Things feel cheaply made. I'm frustrated, very frustrated, as it seems as its one thing after another....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

danemayer

Re: Frustrated

Hi nurseotter,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Sorry to hear you're frustrated. I see that temps in Sioux City were -10 (F) yesterday. I can tell you from personal experience in extreme cold that it can be difficult to keep the water running and there are a number of areas that have to be protected. You've probably done a lot right, but in case you haven't seen it, we have an owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide that may provide additional tips and insights for you.

We also have a Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide that might help. I've never heard of a water heater needing to be plugged in. They're usually hard wired through a junction box and back to the main circuit breaker panel. But maybe you have something different. The guide is based on the Suburban water heater. Atwood units are a bit different so the guide might not help if that's what you have. But if you take a look at it, you might save a trip to the dealer.

alwaysbusy

Nurseotter,
If I'm reading your post correct it seems you found the issue and your working now. First off, congrats on your purchase and I'm sorry you've experienced this hickup. My wife and I are rookie Heartland owners ourselves as of the beginning of this year when we sold our previous coach. So far Heartland has been great to work with on warranty issues and we have no complaints about their follow through. Having said this, please understand rv's are like homes or cars, there is always going to be something needing a little maintenance or attention. In addition, humans aren't perfect and sometimes mistakes are indeed made. Heartland is no different than any other RV manufacturer and there are none that build a perfect product. Rest assured you do have a good product; however, like anything else, you will have upkeep and frustration down the road when trying to diagnose future issues, it's just the way it is with anything.

Congrats again and enjoy.

Steve.Twoknee

Greetings Nurseotter,
Well it would seem your introduction to Iowa hasn't been very nice. I'm a few hours away from you in Waterloo, Iowa and I think it warmed up to a -6 today, starting at something like -17.
Sounds like you have a relatively new camper and with almost all new campers there are things that go wrong, now in your particular case that is compounded by extreme temps.
Starting with the water heater - I've seen some that actually plug in so check that on the outside of the camper. With a 100# LP tank I'd be tempted to switch it over to LP.
Read the link Danemayer provided as well.
I'm confused about the water pump issue; as there isn't a reason to use the pump if you have water coming in on a hose. The hose failing, even a heated one in our current temps isn't too surprising, but are you sure water is even coming out of the pump (the spigot - where you are connected opposite the camper)?
Assuming the camper is under warranty and assuming you purchased it fro CW start making a list. Set up a date to take the camper in and try to do it so that you have a chance to get your repairs done in a day - probably will not happen, but it doesn't hurt to try!
Not sure I've been any help, but this forum is full of folks willing to help and listen, so keep asking questions and feel free to vent as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macjj

Your story brigs back memories of our first stay in Iowa (Ankeny). Supposed to be a warm spring, the temp dropped into the low 20's. I was caught off guard, had to improvise. Our Bighorn was not made to be a winter coach. Had to add a heater to the fresh water tank. The electric water heater failed, and I got a bad batch of propane. Tried dripping water to avoid freezing, but that worked only a couple days. Got an electric hater for the basement. But finally the furnace failed, because I could not get any propane flow. The wife put her foot down and we moved into the local Hampton Inn. A lot of lessons learned, plus frost bite hands trying to hook up the water every morning. Good luck, don't envy you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Nurseotter, so sorry you are having issues, but I'm wondering if you explained to your selling dealer that you wanted a trailer for full time use in the winter - in Iowa? Sadly, I don't think they steered you in the right direction. Heartland does make rigs built for full time use and even those may or may not do well in the temps you are experiencing, without the mods that Dan mentioned in the water Systems Winter Usage Guide.

Please don't think you have a poorly built unit, I think maybe you are expecting a lot from a trailer line that is targeted for 2-season recreational use.

I hope you can make modifications to make it work for you, I really wish you good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk