Fantastic fan opens but doesn't turn on

8amps

I was asking about condensation in another thread, and after the responses decided to run our fantastic fan to get a little airflow to bring the humidity down in the coach.

Haven't used it in a while, but worked fine last time. However now in trying to run it, it clicks on at thermostat, then opens, but the fan itself never turns on. I climbed up on ladder and manually turned off and on and could hear it try to turn over (like a car for lack of a better description). But still nada.

Any thoughts? I read a few threads but those were for it not opening but that isn't our problem. Thanks, as always

Lynn1130

I am not sure which thermostat you have but if it is the Honeywell slide and the inside temp is too cold the fan will open but not turn on unless you move the slide about a quarter of an inch from off. In other words do not move it to a temp setting as it will be waiting for the surrounding air to reach that temp before coming on. Basically you are putting it into "manual on" by moving it slightly to the right. This is also true with the other thermostats but I had enough trouble explaining this one so not sure I can make sense with the others :)

You might try this before climbing on the roof. It could be something else but who knows?

Gary521

That switch is a spring loaded plunger. When the cover opens, it creates a ground and turns the fan on. You may have to remove a panel on the inside to get to the switch ( can't remember right now ). Mine was doing the same thing and it was just a loose wire.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Mary, here is something that I copied from the Fan-Tastic Vent web site. It may be of some help.

Q MY FANTASTIC VENT WILL OPEN BUT THE FAN BLADE WILL NOT TURN WHAT IS WRONG?

AThe motor ground is made or broken using a plunger switch, located on the hinge side of the dome
accessible from the top of the coach, this plunger style switch can become dirty, sticky, or corroded from the elements and may need to be cleaned with some emery cloth or replaced. Most of the time when a fan will not operate this switch is the culprit. The nut is a 7/16” size if this needs to be removed.

Peace
Dave

aatauses

you have some great advice, I'll add one more thing to check that caused a neighbors to not work. The rain sensor was dirty ( I guess the same as having water on it?)--cleaned it up and all was fine.
al

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Mary, here is something that I copied from the Fan-Tastic Vent web site. It may be of some help.

Q MY FANTASTIC VENT WILL OPEN BUT THE FAN BLADE WILL NOT TURN WHAT IS WRONG?

AThe motor ground is made or broken using a plunger switch, located on the hinge side of the dome
accessible from the top of the coach, this plunger style switch can become dirty, sticky, or corroded from the elements and may need to be cleaned with some emery cloth or replaced. Most of the time when a fan will not operate this switch is the culprit. The nut is a 7/16” size if this needs to be removed.

Peace
Dave

That Cookie knows where to find everything.

Hopped up on the roof and sure enough, that plunger switch was the problem. It seems that Fantastic Fan has improved that switch style since mine (2013) was installed. You'll need a K1122-05 Plunger Style Switch. My ground wire could be cleaned up, so I didn't replace the connector on it. The end of the plunger is almost like the female to a butt connector. Taking that out was a little tough, but once that was out, cleaned up, that went right into the end of the new switch. Screwed it in and fan now works.

It's in a terrible place and very easy to corrode. I would say when you're up on your roof, give it a squirt of an anti corrosive and you'll be fine.