Cyclone 3800 tow truck

joemayo19

Pardon the newbie question.

I'm impressed by the Cyclone 3800 and will likely be purchasing a used one in 2017. Would a Ram 4500 be sufficient to tow the RV.

I want to be over trucked so that I don't have tow capacity issues in the future.

The 4500 has a tow ability of roughly 19k lbs., but I'm a little confused about the Cyclone's two displayed weights (dry and gross). What is used to determine tow parameters?

thanks much

danemayer

Hi joymayo19,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

You'll want to use GVWR of the trailer, along with the projected pin weight to determine what truck you need. For planning purposes, you should assume pin weight will be about 20% of GVWR.

Why GVWR? First, the empty weight spec is usually determined by weighing a prototype unit. As the unit goes into production, features are added that can add to the weight. Options you (or the dealer) order add to the weight. Then you start adding pots and pans, games, chairs, grills, tools, clothing, etc. Don't forget about water in the tanks. And if you have toys, well that'll do it. Most of us end up closer to GVWR than to empty weight.

The 3800 has a GVWR of 20,000 lbs. You should plan on pin weight of about 4,000 lbs. So you'll need a truck that has a 5th wheel towing capacity of at least 20,000 lbs, and a payload of close to 5,000 lbs. to allow for the 4,000 lbs. of pin weight, plus hitch weight, bed liner, bed cover, tools, firewood, pets and passengers in the truck.

That all said, it's not hard to find a RAM 3500 dually that has towing capacity in the mid 20s and payload around 5,600 lbs. But you need to check the specifications for the actual truck you're considering. Capabilities vary considerably depending on how the truck is configured. You'll probably want the AISIN Transmission.

porthole

Retired

I'm impressed by the Cyclone 3800 and will likely be purchasing a used one in 2017. Would a Ram 4500 be sufficient to tow the RV.

I want to be over trucked so that I don't have tow capacity issues in the future.

The 4500 has a tow ability of roughly 19k lbs., but I'm a little confused about the Cyclone's two displayed weights (dry and gross). What is used to determine tow parameters?

thanks much

UsedCyclonesmayhave3differentGVW's

Used Cyclones may have 3 different GVW's.
For example:

Tri axle Cyclone with 3 6,000 pound axles.

GVW = 18,000 (3 axles combined)
GVW = 20,000 (3 axles plus 2,000 from the pin box added)
GVW = 20,500 (3 axles plus the full 2,500 from the pin box)

If you are going to haul toys and water it is very easy to be at 20K with a Cyclone.

coltsdad

Texas-North Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome to the forum! We have Torque 380 which is the same as the 3800 without some things. We pull with a 2013 3500 cab and chassis truck that has the aisin and 4.10 gears and it pulls great. When I weighed the rig last spring it had around 13k on the trailer axles with the garage empty.

whp4262

thanks much

What year is the 4500? Engine? Transmission? My 2013 Chevy HD3500 duramax has an 18000 tow limit for bumper pulls and 30000 with a fifth wheel or gooseneck setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joemayo19

Thanks so much for the very knowledgeable information, bless you.

Hi joymayo19,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

You'll want to use GVWR of the trailer, along with the projected pin weight to determine what truck you need. For planning purposes, you should assume pin weight will be about 20% of GVWR.

Why GVWR? First, the empty weight spec is usually determined by weighing a prototype unit. As the unit goes into production, features are added that can add to the weight. Options you (or the dealer) order add to the weight. Then you start adding pots and pans, games, chairs, grills, tools, clothing, etc. Don't forget about water in the tanks. And if you have toys, well that'll do it. Most of us end up closer to GVWR than to empty weight.

The 3800 has a GVWR of 20,000 lbs. You should plan on pin weight of about 4,000 lbs. So you'll need a truck that has a 5th wheel towing capacity of at least 20,000 lbs, and a payload of close to 5,000 lbs. to allow for the 4,000 lbs. of pin weight, plus hitch weight, bed liner, bed cover, tools, firewood, pets and passengers in the truck.

That all said, it's not hard to find a RAM 3500 dually that has towing capacity in the mid 20s and payload around 5,600 lbs. But you need to check the specifications for the actual truck you're considering. Capabilities vary considerably depending on how the truck is configured. You'll probably want the AISIN Transmission.

joemayo19

Thanks much
UsedCyclonesmayhave3differentGVW's

Used Cyclones may have 3 different GVW's.
For example:

Tri axle Cyclone with 3 6,000 pound axles.

GVW = 18,000 (3 axles combined)
GVW = 20,000 (3 axles plus 2,000 from the pin box added)
GVW = 20,500 (3 axles plus the full 2,500 from the pin box)

If you are going to haul toys and water it is very easy to be at 20K with a Cyclone.

joemayo19

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
Welcome to the forum! We have Torque 380 which is the same as the 3800 without some things. We pull with a 2013 3500 cab and chassis truck that has the aisin and 4.10 gears and it pulls great. When I weighed the rig last spring it had around 13k on the trailer axles with the garage empty.