Universal joint on my excursion.

Mattman

Okay. Need a no BS assessment. My excursion has got a squeak in the rear end. At low speed it squeaks a little bit. Only at ideal speed. I think it's just a universal joint. I got under there and looked. No signs of excessive play. I have no vibration until 80mph. So I seldomly feal anything funny. I am planning on leaving for Florida Friday with out the camper to note. I would take my Yukon but it needs a front wheel bearing. I have one on order. Was going to do that when I get back. Should I be concerned about a little squeak at low speed and roll with it? I could change them when I get down there. Or do you guys think I am setting my self up for failure? If I never heard the squeak I wouldn't think any thing was wrong. So my guess is it's just gone dry. It is pretty rusty under that thing. My concern about messing with it is what else it might lead to trying to change it. Just weighing out my options. I would give my self a 90% chance of making it. Based on how it feels driving it. Unless I am missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:

mlpeloquin

Dry bearings on a wheel will gall, melt and the wheel will come off. I have seen a drive shaft universal bearing fail and the drive shaft not only came off, but the drive shaft cut through the body of the truck. I have also seen pictures on one that came off the front and acted like a pole vault when it caught into the pavement. You need to check them or just replace them since you are going to have to remove the drive shaft to look at them anyway.

My wife had a Durango do the same thing so I replaced the U-joints. The sound did not go away so I did some more investigating. It turned out to be one of the bushings on a rear shock squeaking. I slathered it in grease and problem was solved. I'm not saying this is your issue but perhaps something to look at. Good luck 👍🏼

Personally I would " Buck Up " and take to good repair shop and have in gone over front to back, top to bottom. Not fun to break down on road when traveling long distance. Also expensive for wrecker and repair shop may not be as good as you would like. Something like a complete DOT Inspection before traveling long distance gives me Peace of Mind.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I agree with taking it in if you cannot definitively diagnose the source of the squeak.
About three years ago I had a little squeak in the rear of my 16 year old van. Turns out it was the parking brake pads.
It's still squeaking.

Peace
Dave

Jim.Allison

Drive line squeaks are bad juju. But you might try crawling under there and shaking your exhaust system. It's a good play if it turns out to be the source, if not you have not lost anything.