Replace Mattress in Bighorn 3685RL

gslabbert5119

Morning, I need to replace the mattress in my Bighorn 2013 3685RL as the factory mattress is a POS to put it mildly (Beautyrest).
Sadly though it seems to be a custom size (71" x 80") and none of the standard sizes will fit correctly.
The closest would be a California King which is 72" x 84"

I have considered getting a Ca King and have it stick out off the base by 4" but it will hit the cupboards in the bedroom when the bedroom slide is closed. (Well I believe so)

We wanted to use a "Purple Mattress" but it is primarily foam and suspect that having it hang over the edge of the bed frame will ultimately damage the mattress.

Has anyone attempted to use a foam pad on the existing mattress and if so what were the results. We currently have the foam top from Costco but it is far too soft and it retains body heat, which is great for the winter, but is really no good for the summer.

Thoughts and suggestions would be most appreciated.

And to all,
Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year

Gavin

LBR

We replaced the mattress in our new 2017 CY for the same reason....The original was about 69-70"x80" and we put in an RV King which is 72x80x9. Residential Kings are 76x80 I believe, so you need to shop specifically for an RV sized.

mlpeloquin

If you have a king size then it is 72 X 80 inches. Look under RV mattress and also narrow king. We will be replacing ours with a DreamAir sometime later in 2017 when they go on sale again. Not ready for that expense just yet. See Camping World for mattresses and sizes.

danemayer

A number of people have purchased 10" or 12" memory foam mattresses from LastingImpressionsFoam.com. They offer them in the RV King size at a reasonable price with fast delivery. We have one in our Landmark and purchased a standard king for home.

The company seems to be a small family business. One or two people have had delays getting a response from them. I'm guessing they all take holidays and vacations together.

carl.swoyer

Purchase a quality memory foam mattress. Purchased our at IKEA. Excellent quality and comfort. Being that it is foam you can cut it to fit. I spent 800 bucks can't beat it. Forget the custom stuff.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gslabbert5119

Thanks, I am seriously considering getting a Purple Mattress and then cutting it to size, as all I would need to do is shorten it by 4 inches and if I am careful when undoing the stitching my wife will be able to sew it closed and one really would not know the difference. Gavin

falk1rk

We have a king Purple mattress at the house and I have thought of getting one for the trailer too. We would need to cut ours narrower, the length is the same for a normal King but the width is 72". If you get one and cut it down let us know how it goes.

Thanks, I am seriously considering getting a Purple Mattress and then cutting it to size, as all I would need to do is shorten it by 4 inches and if I am careful when undoing the stitching my wife will be able to sew it closed and one really would not know the difference. Gavin

gslabbert5119

A California King as per Purple is 72"x 84" and my mattress dimensions for my rig is 72" x 80" so I should just be able to cut off 4" off the bottom, and I will let you know how that goes.

Probably going have to use a hot wire or something like that, using a box cutter will probably not work when I have to cut 10 - 12 inches thick and 6ft across.

I will keep you posted if I go that route.

Gavin

donr827

I have used a electric carving knife. That was years ago but it was easy to do and clean cut.
Don

mlpeloquin

I had a car that I needed a custom seat made for it. They used an electric serrated knife to do the cutting! Made quick work of the foam cutting. Just a suggestion. I have tried to cut foam with other knives and it doesn't come out straight and clean.

dlw930

I had a car that I needed a custom seat made for it. They used an electric serrated knife to do the cutting! Made quick work of the foam cutting. Just a suggestion. I have tried to cut foam with other knives and it doesn't come out straight and clean.

Earlier this year, when we got rid of our S&B, we kept our standard king 11" thick Temp-ur-Pedic foam mattress for our RV. To make it fit, I had to trim 2" off one side to take it from 74" to 72" wide. After removing the zippered cover from the mattress, I scribed a cut line on the mattress using a marker and cut using an electric carving knife. It took two passes to cut the entire thickness, but turned out great. Once the cover was put back on any cutting irregularities weren't noticeable. The cover didn't fit as snug, but once sheets were put on it, you couldn't tell. The hardest part was carrying the mattress down the hall and putting it on the bed platform. The length of the standard king worked out fine without cutting; it hangs over the end of the platform about an inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk