vent

davebennington

Is possible to make the kitchen vent be able to operate from inside the coach? The outside vent works just fine however in bad weather and the height makes it some what cumbersome.
I have never seen this in any other brand maybe Heartland can be a leader in this area also.

Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
First let me try to understand your question. Are you asking about the flap on the outside and if it can be released from the inside rather than the outside? If so,I haven't seen anything other than that style vent in a long time. Since the ones that had a chain coming in through the vent with a notch to hold it closed. That was in the 70's. In our Bighorn I leave the vent latched while we travel and open it when we park. I can reach it from the ground but a screwdriver or stick might help the vertically challenged.

davebennington

Yes, that is exactly the item that I mean. I had the old chain deal on an old truck camper that was 30 years ago. I would think there would be some kind of improvement since then. I use the awning rod to move the little clips to open and close it now. Some engineer should have an idea by now to improve this simple task.

jbeletti

I leave mine open all season. I lock it when I winterize. Have not had any adverse effects yet. Maybe it's okay to leave them unlocked??

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

The thing that gets annoying is if it's windy is the constant flapping noise from the vent. I suppose if a guy was handy he could somehow spring load the flap and attach a means to release from inside. It just hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it.

davebennington

Jim

I would agree with you, leave it open, however my wife walks around the coach when we are hitched and ready to "mosey on" and tells me that I haven't secured everything. Now I have to get the awning rod out and fiddle with those little clips. The vent on my unit is really high on the side so I need something long to reach it.

Ray,

Yes the wind blowing and that flapper is annoying.

Dave

jbeletti

Gotcha Dave.

Not sure how many rotations those little closers are good for. I'll bet high-end class As have some fancy closers. Maybe a mod is in your future. Google! :)

CGibson

I know what you mean about the height. I am 5'6" and cannot reach it without a stool. I am fortunate though as my son is almost 6' tall and he can reach it no problem. I just can't let him grow up and he always has to go with us camping.

Pulltab

Jim

I would agree with you, leave it open, however my wife walks around the coach when we are hitched and ready to "mosey on" and tells me that I haven't secured everything. Now I have to get the awning rod out and fiddle with those little clips. The vent on my unit is really high on the side so I need something long to reach it.

Dave
Give her that job to to and tell her "DON'T YOU EVER FORGET IT!":D:D:D:D:D

davebennington

Pulltab,

You really want me to get killed??????? The button up and get ready to "Mosey On" has been my job, I guess it always will be.

Dave

Cirrus

I learned a valuable lesson. I too never latched mine until the end of the season, but I noticed that I lost my flapper on my last trip. I still have to replace it, and my local parts place only sells the complete unit, even tho I only need the flap.:( From now on I'll latch mine before heading down the highway.

davebennington

I have been thinking about a solution to the vent "problem". First I would like to make it perfectly clear I am by no stretch of anyones imagination an engineer, but why can't Heartland work with Fantastic fan company to create a fan that will open and close like the one in the roof of the trailer. I think this could be an innovative idea would keep Heartland on the leading edge of the RV industry, just a thought.

Dave

Ray LeTourneau

I have been thinking about a solution to the vent "problem". First I would like to make it perfectly clear I am by no stretch of anyones imagination an engineer, but why can't Heartland work with Fantastic fan company to create a fan that will open and close like the one in the roof of the trailer. I think this could be an innovative idea would keep Heartland on the leading edge of the RV industry, just a thought.

Dave
To me that's an interesting concept. The original vent fan in our BH had a fairly large venturi opening but the fan was way too noisy. The rectangular hole in the wall is the same as residential, I believe. What we need is someone to manufacture a quality fan for our mid level RV's instead of that noisy thing. I also like the units with the exhaust fan built into the microwave or convection oven.