Fuel Filter.............

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I had the fuel filter changed out this morning and what a difference! I bet I have 25% more power!
I have been running them for 10k miles and changing the oil and cleaning the K&N air filter every 5k.
From now on they all get done at 5k period!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What a coinkydink, I just ordered a spare for my Chevy from Kennedy Deisel. Roger, how does that K&N work out for you. I heard the Duramax was a bit temperamental with them. On the Duramax forum there was quite a bit of talk about it. I cut out the stock box and use a Delco. They had a test of quite a few filters and showed AC filtered best, lasted longest and flowed better. Now that's just what I read. My fuel filters have been doing fine and I change them out at 10k and I carry a spare and wrench just in case.

Uncle Rog

Howdy Ray, I have had good service from the K&N air filters for many years, I think the main advantage is the cost factor, buy one and keep it clean and you don't have the re-ocurring expense.
I think you are probably right about the air flow, when K&N was first introduced they were head and shoulders above the rest but I think that the others have improved considerably to where there is not much difference now.
I also keep a spare fuel filter under the rear seat......just in case!

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Keep an eye on your turbocharger compressor side impellor. K&N is notorious for letting too much dirt through dusting the turbo on the Powerstroke diesel forums. Oiled filters like the K&N filter best when dirty:confused:

I won't run lifetime oiled air filters of any brand. I get 50,000 - 100,000 miles out of a paper filter as it is.

Good to change fuel filters often, plugged fuel filters cause fuel pump & injector failures which can get spendy really fast at $300+ each for injectors + labor.

I change fuel filters every 15,000 miles when I change oil (which is once a month for me. I run Rotella Synthetic) I use the same intervals as I did on my semi trucks as my dually is just a small road tractor for me.

Uncle Rog

pmm, you get great service out of your filters, I wonder if over the road miles makes a difference? I run 50 / 50 highway / city with some dirt roads thrown in a few times a week. This is the first time I have changed a filter and noticed a difference, I will experiment a little more.....thanks for the input..........

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I run the AFE stage 2 lifetime dry filter. I was going to go with the K&N, but after reading that the MAF sensor can get fouled if the filter is oiled too much, decided that the AFE was a better option. I also read that the Delco was a better filter. Wonder if they make one for my AFE.
Changing the fuel filter made a huge difference with my power and mileage. Need to find a different shop though. Last place charged me over $200 to change the filter. 1.5 hrs labor at $80phr and the cost of the filter. Just about floored me. Won't be going back there again.
Fred

Sundance_kid

I know what you mean oldlthrneck, I change the filter myself now to save a $100 from what the stealership charges. I get 3 filters off Ebay for less than 1 OEM filter, no problems in over 60,000 miles. Change it every 15,000 miles.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
pmm, you get great service out of your filters, I wonder if over the road miles makes a difference? I run 50 / 50 highway / city with some dirt roads thrown in a few times a week. This is the first time I have changed a filter and noticed a difference, I will experiment a little more.....thanks for the input..........

Running all highway does make a difference, If I were running it at excavation & construction sites and running around the city, like a few of my best freinds, I would ruin the truck with my change intervals.

I run 99% highway, no dirt roads, very little city driving. Mostly upper midwest, southeast and Western Canada. I'm rarely in dusty desert areas like NV, AZ & CA. I usually fuel at the same stops all the time where they sell a lot of diesel fuel and it's filtered before it hits my tanks. I keep my tanks full to avoid condensation and inspect the fuel filter pleats for debris and water everytime I change them to make sure I'm still getting good fuel where I like to stop.

Uncle Rog

Fred, they got to you that time. I buy my own filter and have they guy at the shop down the street put it in for $20 cash............

pmm, that is good advice about knowing your fueling stations, I have been told that before. I had a 48 gal tank installed for that reason, gives me a few more options. I checked our air filters this AM, just for fun. My wifes looks like it did 20k miles ago, mine looked like I used it to scoop out a sand box! Thanks for the tip about the turbo, that, I have never heard about..........