Has anyone ever added additional stoarge bays to the outside of your Heartland?

Georgia_Biker

We are preparing to go Fulltime within the next year (got to get the house sold and get rid of all the "stuff").

I want more storage space. I know you can buy ready made doors but I am trying to come up with a method to build the compartments and mount them.

I am not looking for huge storage but, to me some of the open areas along the lower fairings would be good to store tools, cleaning supplies, or what ever.

Any ideas ya'll?

Go-Fly

We are preparing to go Fulltime within the next year (got to get the house sold and get rid of all the "stuff").

I want more storage space. I know you can buy ready made doors but I am trying to come up with a method to build the compartments and mount them.

I am not looking for huge storage but, to me some of the open areas along the lower fairings would be good to store tools, cleaning supplies, or what ever.

Any ideas ya'll?

We sold our house, 90% of our belongings and went fulltime this Oct. One thing we found out was, how easy it was to overload the trailer. We had a scale close by that I could run the trailer over. We held it to 1000 pounds under the axle rating and then did 25% for the pin weight. I think most the rigs you see going down the road are over loaded. I had the frame mount boxes on my travel trailer because it had no outside storage to speak of. Worked great for the things I didn't want to bring inside.

jbeletti

Wastemaster made an external roto-molded sewer hose storage box that bolts under the frame. When Lippert bought them, I got the last one in stock. My understanding is that Lippert retooled and makes them again. It's nice to keep my sewer hose out of the inside storage bay.

Here's a link to that mod.

porthole

Retired

Any ideas ya'll?

These bins work pretty good as long as you are not looking for security. I have two sets, one with, one without the spare tire carrier.
If you are planning on going to Goshen, that would be the best time to buy them, between the potential discount and no shipping.

I have two sets on our Cyclone

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=429453&viewfull=1#post429453

ram_1955

I have made sewer hose holders out of 6 inch pipe. Cap bolted to right side and cap with to drop in pins on the left. I have a rubber hose (rishon think) that goes in one, it has a 1 inch pvc pipe in the center that the hose slides over to keep it from kinking going in. The other has a piece of half round gutter that makes a tray for the plastic hoses and that half round can be used to support the sewer hose if it is needed.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have added a few things to Project LM 365 to add additional storage.
#1) The custom ladder box I made and mounted to a spear tire rack.
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=438978&viewfull=1#post438978

#2) The custom drawer I made and mounted under the frame.
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=510554&viewfull=1#post510554

#3) I made a pass though door in the basement to access a bunch of unused storage space.
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=506633&viewfull=1#post506633

#4) I installed additional storage tubes underneath the frame for the extra sewer tube and the beach umbrella
Version 1) https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=446557&viewfull=1#post446557
Version 2) https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=508857&viewfull=1#post508857
Beach Umbrella Tube) https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=510070&viewfull=1#post510070

#5) Not done yet
A additional storage drawer on the opposite side of my fire pit drawer by the sewer dump for all of the sewer connections and other items.

Hope this gives you a few ideas to help you out.

Merry Christmas
Jerrod

Georgia_Biker

These bins work pretty good as long as you are not looking for security. I have two sets, one with, one without the spare tire carrier.
If you are planning on going to Goshen, that would be the best time to buy them, between the potential discount and no shipping.

I have two sets on our Cyclone

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=429453&viewfull=1#post429453

I am impressed! We are going to Goshen - I am going to start planning

Georgia_Biker

I am impressed! We are going to Goshen - I am going to start planning

Duane-

I am impressed at all of the "Mods" you have done - you are "da man" !

I am really interested in the Lippert storage bins. Are yours mounted in front of or behind the wheel sets? I have a BH 3875FB and there are sewer lines on the front side that would prevent access on the left side.

If yours are on the back side under the slides then can you only access with the slides in?

porthole

Retired
Mine are behind the rear axle, so there is nothing in the way. And no garage slides to deal with as well.

I have seen these mounted on other trailers wherever there is free space, so that includes from the generator bay back, wherever you have the necessary 20" available.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine are separated a bit as the front set of bins (closet to the tire in the picture) has the spare tire carrier in the center. I remove a bin, pull the carrier out to the side then use a drill to lower the spare to the ground.

The spare tire carrier option is nice, especially since 17.5" goodyears and wheel are about 95 pounds each.

There are four ways to use this kit (appropriate $$$ difference)

2 short bins
2 short bins and the spare tire carrier
2 short bins and the spare tire carrier, but instead of using the spare carrier, add a 3rd short bin (they don't sell it that way, have to purchase the 3rd)
2 long bins

Also note for the above combinations, our trailer is a toy hauler, and originally these were only made for toy haulers, which are 5" wider then non TH's

People who bought these at the 2011 Goshen rally found that the brackets stuck out slightly when installed on BIghorns etc.

I do not know if the current 'fitzall' brackets are capable of the spare tire or third bin option.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Mine are behind the rear axle, so there is nothing in the way. And no garage slides to deal with as well.

I have seen these mounted on other trailers wherever there is free space, so that includes from the generator bay back, wherever you have the necessary 20" available.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine are separated a bit as the front set of bins (closet to the tire in the picture) has the spare tire carrier in the center. I remove a bin, pull the carrier out to the side then use a drill to lower the spare to the ground.

Also note for the above combinations, our trailer is a toy hauler, and originally these were only made for toy haulers, which are 5" wider then non TH's

People who bought these at the 2011 Goshen rally found that the brackets stuck out slightly when installed on BIghorns etc.

I do not know if the current 'fitzall' brackets are capable of the spare tire or third bin option.

Lippert has a 96" model available
http://www.etrailer.com/RV-Cargo/Lippert-Components/LC175180.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kathi-27

Georgia biker. I live around Fayetteville ga also have 2017 3875fb and have done the spare tire style storage like jerod did and a few other mods.your welcome to come visit if you want to see the mod. in person. message me or call

- - - Updated - - -

my name is ron

Georgia_Biker

- - - Updated - - -

The spare tire carrier option is nice, especially since 17.5" goodyears and wheel are about 95 pounds each.

There are four ways to use this kit (appropriate $$$ difference)

2 short bins
2 short bins and the spare tire carrier
2 short bins and the spare tire carrier, but instead of using the spare carrier, add a 3rd short bin (they don't sell it that way, have to purchase the 3rd)
2 long bins

Hey Duane-

Thanks for the reply! All of my questions are answered - I am going to pick these up at Goshen in June - hopefully they do installs there.

- - - Updated - - -

Georgia biker. I live around Fayetteville ga also have 2017 3875fb and have done the spare tire style storage like jerod did and a few other mods.your welcome to come visit if you want to see the mod. in person. message me or call

- - - Updated - - -

my name is ron

Thanks Ron - I will IM you next week if that is OK and come out - I am in Social Circle-

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have had the Lippert Underchasis Storage trays on our last two campers. On the 2012 Big Country we had to get the one with the spare tire but on our current coach, we just have the double tray. Great place to storage the leveling blocks or tarps.

Kathi-27

Hey Duane-

Thanks for the reply! All of my questions are answered - I am going to pick these up at Goshen in June - hopefully they do installs there.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Ron - I will IM you next week if that is OK and come out - I am in Social Circle-

that will be good waiting to hear from you

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yes - things gets wet - that's why we only put things like extra blocks, tarps, etc in there that doesn't matter if they get wet or are already wet. Behind the wheels, it gets rain spray from the tires.

Georgia_Biker

Yes - things gets wet - that's why we only put things like extra blocks, tarps, etc in there that doesn't matter if they get wet or are already wet. Behind the wheels, it gets rain spray from the tires.

I would think some plastic tubs that seal would be good if you wanted to keep something dry-