What and where do you get an Aux Fuel/tool box for the bed of the truck.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I just got a 2016 F350 and am thinking of taking the tank out of my 2006 F250 and using it. However the company that made it, American Tank, doesn't seem to be still in business.

I was wondering what and where you may have purchased your tank. I want one that fits below the bed rails so I can get a cover for the bed. So I don't want one that I have to pump from one tank to the other. I would like to find one like I have (if I don't use the one in my 2006) that I can swap tanks by just flipping a toggle switch on the dash.

What do you have and where did you get it. BTW I am not one that will install it, but get it done for me. Don't have the tools and I am to old to mess with it..

Thanks
BC

jnbhobe

Bob, use your old tank and gravity feed it into your main tank. You can get the kit for $70, then get a 12V solonoid valve and hook it to one of your upfitter switches. It won't mess up your computer and keeps track of everything. Better than $700 + for a new tank. I have done it that way on 4 trucks

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
I just got a 2016 F350 and am thinking of taking the tank out of my 2006 F250 and using it. However the company that made it, American Tank, doesn't seem to be still in business.

I was wondering what and where you may have purchased your tank. I want one that fits below the bed rails so I can get a cover for the bed. So I don't want one that I have to pump from one tank to the other. I would like to find one like I have (if I don't use the one in my 2006) that I can swap tanks by just flipping a toggle switch on the dash.

What do you have and where did you get it. BTW I am not one that will install it, but get it done for me. Don't have the tools and I am to old to mess with it..

Thanks
BC

Bob - I have the 45 gal tank from the same company, used it in my F250 and 1st F350 and now have in in this F350 and earlier this year the 6 way valve shorted out. Just like Jon said in the other post it is very easy to change over to a gravity feed tank and it works great. Camping World has the parts you need (approx. $60). The 6way valve can be removed and two regular fuel hoses installed across the location of the valve. One more thing, a 12v solenoid is used if you want to switch it from the cab. When I am on the road I leave the manual valve open and when the fuel gauge begins to drop I start looking for a convenient place to fill up. Usually this happen about the time I get to my next camp site

Oregon_Camper

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Bob,

ATTA is in Fort Worth you can pick it up the tank from their plant and they can install it for you while you wait. They have great customer service. Give them a call, see what they can do for you.

dlw930

Northern Tool carries the RDS tanks and combo units. I have the 40 gal. tank/tool box combo that fits below the bed rails. The toolbox is 10" deep. My Chevy is a long bed so there's room for some bed storage between the combo unit and the hitch. I don't think Northern Tool does installation, but there may be RDS dealers in the DFW area that do. You can get the RDS units in either chrome or black finish. Black is about $100 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I do appreciate all the comments. I have a combo 45gal tank I am thinking about removing from the 06 and putting it in the 16. Not sure how all the connections will go but I will enlist some help.

Thanks for all the info. I will keep in touch and looking for more info if available.

BC

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I do appreciate all the comments. I have a combo 45gal tank I am thinking about removing from the 06 and putting it in the 16. Not sure how all the connections will go but I will enlist some help.

Thanks for all the info. I will keep in touch and looking for more info if available.

BC

Bobcat, we moved our Dually Depot tank from our 2004 to 2013 (both GMC trucks). Had a mechanic friend do it, and he had to fabricate a part for the fuel line connection since it had to be different for the new truck.

Just telling you to anticipate that possibility it will be different in the new truck.

porthole

Retired
Thanks. That seems to be what I'll be doing also.

Planonmovingthetan

Plan on moving the tank. Northern tool charges shipping even if you have it shipped to their store.

If you have the old tank removed I would just order a new installation kit - "Tee" and plug the old one, leaving it with the truck.

The replacement fuel filler hose from Ford is almost as much as the installation kit. The difference in cost will be made up in less work to replace.

Straight gravity feed is the easiest.
Gravity feed with a 1/4 turn ball valve on the tank is next, and a lot safer in my opinion.
Electric solenoids work good, adds cost and should have a 1/4 turn valve between the tank and solenoid
Electric pumps are an option that I don't care for. The pump adds complexity and the possibility of fuel leakage or spill.

If you decide to go with a solenoid be aware not all solenoids are created equal. For gravity feed the solenoid needs to be a 'gravity feed' version. Gravity feed specific solenoids are designed with zero head pressure activation.

happykraut

I installed a gravity feed tank in my truck, but it seems to drain very slow and sometimes it feels like it is not draining at all. The fuel goes through a solenoid operated valve. Question is: How large does the vent in the aux tank have to be?

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
The cap on my tank is the vent. I can be towing and see the main tank refill at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crussian

Hi - what exactly does Freedom Fill mean? I like the 45 gallon tank for its width and height. I don't have a cover on my bed so I might go to a locking cap. Nonetheless, I would like the aux tank to fill as the main goes down. I think that is gravity but not sure.

Thanks in advance.

Cary

Mase

I had mine manufactured and installed by KSH Marine, in Lake Havasu. They usually have a booth in the Big Tent in Quartzsite, in mid January. What I liked about KSH is that they customize the tank to your exact requirements. I already had a diamond plate tool box in the bed. I asked KSH to move the toolbox immediately behind the hitch and make the gas tank large enough to take up the entire space between the toolbox and the front of the truck bed, so that everything would be tight and would be held tight behind the 5th wheel hitch. I wanted the gas tank made out of diamond plate and made the exact same height as the toolbox. I also wanted a diamond plate cover made and installed over the fill cap that would allow me to padlock the gas tank. I went with gravity feed, which has worked fine in the 4 years I have had the tank. It is a 65 gallon gas tank and cost me $700 and change installed. It has long ago paid for itself, with savings. I can go 1000 miles before needing to fillerup and can, therefore, wait until I get to a location with low fuel prices. Also, I haven't had to drag the RV into a gas station more than once per year or two. Do you know that the place with the lowest diesel prices has the highest quality diesel fuel? Diesel degrades over time in the gas station's underground tanks. The stations with the lowest prices are selling the most diesel and thereby turning the inventory in their tanks more often, so their diesel is "fresher" and less moisture content. As an added precaution, I add OPTI-LUBE diesel additive to my fuel tank after each fill.

I also buy gift cards from the major grocery stores (Krogers, Smiths, Safeway, Vons, etc.) when they have 4X points promotions on their gift cards. During those promotions, I get cards for Amazon and our favorite restaurants, Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. where I am going to shop anyway. $250 in gift cards at 4X points, gets $1 off 25-35 gallons of diesel. Plus, grocery store gas stations usually have the lowest price even before the additional savings for the gift cards. You have to watch your timing because the fuel points disappear at the end of the month following the month the points are earned. Points earned in January expire at the end of February and have to be used by then. The gift cards themselves don't expire.

porthole

Retired
I installed a gravity feed tank in my truck, but it seems to drain very slow and sometimes it feels like it is not draining at all. The fuel goes through a solenoid operated valve. Question is: How large does the vent in the aux tank have to be?

HeyBernie

Hey Bernie, gravity feeds through a solenoid are slow, even when you are using the proper "gravity feed solenoid"

On my truck (and the same with Hobert's truck) I found that the gravity feed allows a flow about what I am burning. Keep in mind with gravity feeds, when the tank is full it will drain faster. The closer you get to empty the less "head pressure" and a resulting slower flow rate. Winter will be slower too.

I have never found the slow drain rate to be an issue.

Here is the solenoid I used.

3/8" Electric Solenoid Valve 12-Volt DC 12VDC Viton Seal Water Air Diesel B21V

'Viton' is key for diesel fuel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Electri...hash=item460daa06ef:m:mpxIao0MMcyT_g0o4bKym2Q

MTPockets

I know zero about aux tanks, but do know we really like our 50 gal Transfer Flo brand tank. It fits perfectly under our Bed cover, it's fully automatic, adds fuel to the main tank automatically, and it's fully DOT approved. Just fill it and drive. Contact Transfer flow for an approved installer in your area.

Oregon_Camper

Hi - what exactly does Freedom Fill mean? I like the 45 gallon tank for its width and height. I don't have a cover on my bed so I might go to a locking cap. Nonetheless, I would like the aux tank to fill as the main goes down. I think that is gravity but not sure.

Thanks in advance.

Cary

I have the Freedom Fill in our F-350. I opted to have it installed in the center console vs under the dash, as I liked the cleaner look. This is not gravity feed...this is an actual pump from Aux tank to the main tank. You can leave it on all the time so your main tank fill once it hits 3/4 tank or do what I do and wait for main tank to hit 1/4 tank and then turn on. I do this as I might fill up more often on trips and not have to use the Aux tank. Filling the trucks tank is easier than getting into the bed of the truck to fill the Aux tank. There is a nice large gauge for the Aux tank, which makes is easy to see fuel levels.

Oh...our came with a locking tank cap...not sure if that is even an option to not have one.

Cabindoc

What MTPpckets said. I have a Tractor supply tool box behind cab, then tank, then hitch. All fits. You didn't ask, but I recommend a top made by Advanced folding cover. Opens in front or back and folds up so doesn't interfere with towing. Pm me if you want pics.