Towing Limit

Chevydude

Hello Everyone,

First time potential camper here and wanting to make sure I purchase something I can pull with my current truck and not have to buy a new truck after I buy a camper. :) How exactly can I calculate what I can pull with my truck? I have a 2004 Chevy Z71 with the 5.3l and 3:73 gears (I am pretty sure).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Take care

danemayer

Hi Chevydude,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

You can get very specific help at RV Tow Check, or Fifth Wheel Safe Towing. Both websites have been created to help you answer your question.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks guys!

Whatever you do, do not trust an RV salesman to tell you if you can tow the trailer he's selling.

Dealers are not responsible for determining a safe tow, only the BUYER. They will sell you what you want to buy, they will not care about your family's safety after the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevydude

Whatever you do, do not trust an RV salesman to tell you if you can tow the trailer he's selling.

Dealers are not responsible for determining a safe tow, only the BUYER. They will sell you what you want to buy, they will not care about your family's safety after the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir! The exact reason I am reaching out to someone more familiar than I am. I've heard so many stories where friends have had to go out and buy new trucks because of a camper that was too big for their truck. This is allllll brand new to me. I am clueless. I "think" my truck is rated to pull 7000lbs and the dry weight of the 22RBK is 4774lbs....add in another 1000lbs for gear, etc. and that puts it right under 6000lbs. I am probably not going to have but 500lbs of gear...but...

Thanks again

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I am probably not going to have but 500lbs of gear...but...

You'd be surprised how fast 500 pounds will add up.

1/2 a tank of fresh water can weigh more than that . . .

Our mountain bikes weigh 35 pounds each . . .

A cooler full of ice and beer can weigh in at 20 pounds . . .

Our pop-up 10x10 gazebo weighs at least 25-30 pounds . . .

I weighed my toolbox . . . 60 pounds!

Resist going out and buying a bunch of stuff you think you'll need . . .

Wait until you discover the stuff you need while out camping!

Each time we come back from a campout I remove a few more things that we seem to never use.

danemayer

dry weight of the 22RBK is 4774lbs....add in another 1000lbs for gear, etc. and that puts it right under 6000lbs.

You should ignore the dry weight spec. It's based on the prototype of the model. It's not unusual for additional features to be added to the standard configuration. Any options you or the dealer orders also add to the dry weight. Look for a yellow sticker in the entry door frame to find out the actual weight as the trailer rolled off the manufacturing floor.

Most trailers are running close to GVWR which is why that's the number you want to use.

Chevydude

You should ignore the dry weight spec. It's based on the prototype of the model. It's not unusual for additional features to be added to the standard configuration. Any options you or the dealer orders also add to the dry weight. Look for a yellow sticker in the entry door frame to find out the actual weight as the trailer rolled off the manufacturing floor.

Most trailers are running close to GVWR which is why that's the number you want to use.

Thanks again, guys! The only time the camper will probably leave the campground is to come home for an annual cleaning and/or to the shop for maintenance. With that said, the GVWR for that camper is 6900lbs. From the sounds of it, that is already too close to comfort from the 7000 tow limit. Hmmm.

Hansel

Welcome,

I'd say that you would need too look at travel trailer's, and not a 5th wheel, another thing is do not believe the manufactures sticker weight's. The internet is a great source of information, and one thing I've learned is that some salesmen don't like a educated customer.