ATF: Mallard - Heat Ducts M32 model

MallardHead

Concern: On the M32 model, In the rear bunk area, the air flow if very minimal coming through the heat duct compared to the flow coming out of the duct in the bathroom, living area and by the door blowing towards the bedroom. Is there a reason for this? Is it because of the closed quarters? Is it because the duct work coming to that vent is smaller compared to the other duct work? Thanks in advance

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Concern: On the M32 model, In the rear bunk area, the air flow if very minimal coming through the heat duct compared to the flow coming out of the duct in the bathroom, living area and by the door blowing towards the bedroom. Is there a reason for this? Is it because of the closed quarters? Is it because the duct work coming to that vent is smaller compared to the other duct work? Thanks in advance

It could be a few of these issues or a combination. Sags or extreme bends along with excessive length of duct can cause blockages and reduced air flow. The duct may also be smaller.

Depending on location of your furnace, You may be able to remove the return air cover that usually next to the furnace. Check sharp bends that can be rerouted a bit to reduce the sharp bend. Check for excessive duct length, A few inchs or a foot or so may not cause problems if not causing a sharp bend but still allows for duct movement. large amounts could be causing multiple bends and sagging that could be slowing flow. long cable ties can be used to gently route duct more efficiently.

duct location on the output side of the furnace can make a difference. You might look at where your problem duct is connected in relation to ducts that have good airflow and possibly consider a swap.

debris in ductwork could be another issue such as tape or pieces of other construction debris.

smaller duct may have a bit of a reduced total airflow but you should still be able to get a decent amount of air if other issues are addressed.

I have a North Trail and had a similar issue with the rear duct, It is smaller than the main duct but a few tweeks to the routing took care without replacing the duct.

Chopperno1

MallardHead private messaged me and I have the exact same issue on my M32. As well as reduced flow the air is cool not wrm or hot as the otherheater vents blowing hot air. I am going to take my camper in on January the 6th to have the front cap LED recall fixed as well as my front screen door will not latch closed to allow main door to be left open. I will ask if they can check into this heat duct while addressing the other issues.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Ours was clogged with debris left over from manufacture.

Upstairs in the bathroom (which is directly above the furnace) and bedroom way too much heat and back in the livingroom and kitchen hardly any heat.

I tried to vacuum it out to no avail so wound up letting the dealer tear into it.

While it is much better, it still isn't great.

I bought some plastic louvered vent covers at Camping World to help force the air to the back from upstairs, but they both melted on the very first use.

MeltedVentCover2016.jpg

Have replaced them with metal ones from Home Depot . . . and all is well!

MallardHead

Ours was clogged with debris left over from manufacture.

Upstairs in the bathroom (which is directly above the furnace) and bedroom way too much heat and back in the livingroom and kitchen hardly any heat.

I tried to vacuum it out to no avail so wound up letting the dealer tear into it.

While it is much better, it still isn't great.

I bought some plastic louvered vent covers at Camping World to help force the air to the back from upstairs, but they both melted on the very first use.

View attachment 49056

Have replaced them with metal ones from Home Depot . . . and all is well!

This is the answer I got from Heartland reps..Heat Duct answer 1.JPGHeat Duct answer 2.JPG

JohnD

When I turned on the furnace for the first time in the Prowler (fall camping and night temps in the mid-30's), heat blasted out of the bathroom and bedroom ducts, and a plume of dust blew out of the two in the livingroom and kitchen area.

Then after that initial blast of dust, hardly any flow from the downstairs vents.

We carry a couple of electric heaters, so all was not lost.

When we got home I took the two downstairs vent covers off, turned on the furnace, then stuck my hand down inside each and shook the duct hose . . . and a HUGE cloud of debris came out of them!

I tried shoving my shop vac hose down inside each to get the stuff out . . . got some, but not enough.

There were pieces of wood . . . sawdust . . . wire clippings . . . random screws . . . and who knows what else down there.

I wound up having our dealership deal with it while it was in for warranty repair items.

If you stick your hand down inside the vents, be careful!

There are screws sticking out down inside the vents and duct work, so be prepared to shed a little blood!

MallardHead

When I turned on the furnace for the first time in the Prowler (fall camping and night temps in the mid-30's), heat blasted out of the bathroom and bedroom ducts, and a plume of dust blew out of the two in the livingroom and kitchen area.

Then after that initial blast of dust, hardly any flow from the downstairs vents.

We carry a couple of electric heaters, so all was not lost.

When we got home I took the two downstairs vent covers off, turned on the furnace, then stuck my hand down inside each and shook the duct hose . . . and a HUGE cloud of debris came out of them!

I tried shoving my shop vac hose down inside each to get the stuff out . . . got some, but not enough.

There were pieces of wood . . . sawdust . . . wire clippings . . . random screws . . . and who knows what else down there.

I wound up having our dealership deal with it while it was in for warranty repair items.

If you stick your hand down inside the vents, be careful!

There are screws sticking out down inside the vents and duct work, so be prepared to shed a little blood!
Unfortunately with the M32 the vents aren't in the floor for the heat.... the duct work for the vent with minimal flow is only about 2 inches in diameter so no hand going in that one for sure maybe 2 fingers

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
I had a similar problem with airflow, not the same but the same problem with airflow
. Found a primary duct kinked near the furnace...

Attachments

• 30RKDD Furnace and PWR station area before 2.jpg
    30RKDD Furnace and PWR station area before 2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 48
  • 30RKDD Furnace and PWR station area after.jpg
    30RKDD Furnace and PWR station area after.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 41

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Unfortunately with the M32 the vents aren't in the floor for the heat.... the duct work for the vent with minimal flow is only about 2 inches in diameter so no hand going in that one for sure maybe 2 fingers

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32

Lowe's has a duct cleaning tool that might be able to get to hard to reach areas of ducting that is in a relatively straight line (no sharp bends). It has flexible 3 foot shafts that screw together and different sized brushes that can be turned with a portable hand drill. I plan on cleaning out all of my ducts this spring with mine.

MallardHead

Lowe's has a duct cleaning tool that might be able to get to hard to reach areas of ducting that is in a relatively straight line (no sharp bends). It has flexible 3 foot shafts that screw together and different sized brushes that can be turned with a portable hand drill. I plan on cleaning out all of my ducts this spring with mine.
I will have to look at that tool....do you possibly have a link to it

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32

JohnD

I would be very careful running that through the duct work . . .

Might poke holes into the duct hoses . . . they are not very strong!